Question for you DIYers who installed your own stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InTheRockies

Aug 15, 2008
Northern US Rockies
I realize that in addition to securing your stove pipe joints with 3 screws per joint that it's best to use furnace cement too to make sure you've got a tight seal. One question I have is whether you use furnace cement on the portion of pipe that connects to the stove collar, too? Thanks in advance.

It depends on the stove flue collar and the pipe. I didn't use any cement on the T6 collar mating to Simpson DVL and it seems to be working well. But on the Jotul, I used a little furnace cement.

Just put my new Harman TL 300 in using Simpson Dura-Vent double wall pipe and also did not use any cement. If there is a reason why you would need cement, try seeing if the product makes an adapter to cure your loose fit problem.

I didn't use any cement during either installation. No issues have arisen as of yet. The connections were so tight that it never occured to me to use it.

Stove pipe installed for 18 years and no cement in the stovepipe joints or pipe to stove. Wouldn't use unless a draft problem that could not be solved in any other way.

I've never used cement in 30+ years. If it is used, it seems to discolor and fail very quickly. Tight fitting pipe and four rather than just three sheet metal screws should make any other sealing unnecessary.

I have an insert, so it's in sort of a darkened area (a FP), and held a drop light on the outside of the collar while looking at the inside for a light leak. It's not an air test, but more effective than you may guess. You probably have to remove or just displace the baffle to do it.

I wouldn't be surprised by a light or air leak in my stove pipe, but unless it causes a draft problem, so what? The chimney has negative air pressure, so any "leak" results in air being drawn into the chimney, not smoke into the heated space. An air leak could, but I suspect not likely, impair chimney draft. If your stove operates properly, why seal any joints with cement?

I don't use it on my single wall stove pipe installation, and haven't had any issues what so ever.

No cement here, it will make a messy looking joint and then crumble/crack.

Woodbutcher

The only furnace cement I have is still in its unopened can in a cabinet in my workshop. Rick

Thanks for the responses. I hadn't planned on using furnace cement until I began reading DIY guides. I agree it would be messy. I'm waiting for my blower kit to arrive, which I hope is tomorrow. Hopefully, this weekend I can get the new stove installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.