Question for you "Lumber Types"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amateur cutter

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
West Michigan
I've got about an acre & a half of standing Scotch pine that I'm gonna clean up & use as a natural area. I have neither the time or ambition to cut & process 150 8 to 12" DBH pine trees, & I'm too cheap to pay an excavator so. I had a guy out that advertises on CL for standing pine timber. He says they make privacy fence out of it. My question is, how much is it worth? He hasn't given me a quote yet, & I'm not looking to get rich on this deal at all. I'm tempted to let him have the trees as long as he doesn't bust up the walnut, cherry, & oaks that are standing there. What say you folks?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is MBF? Million Board Feet? Take what I can get was kinda my thinking too, even if it's just free tree removal.

Thanks, just pretty worthless as you said, not completely. :cheese:

Around here is it no good for anything except chipping and I do not know the present price. I may find out though as we'd also like to cut a bunch of them.

Who makes a privacy fence out of Pine? White cedar is the way to go.
+1 to ExactLEE what he said.

I'd think it'd be worth more as mulch than anything else....Main use around here is Christmas tree farms,after that they dont let 'em get much older.

mainstation said:
Who makes a privacy fence out of Pine? White cedar is the way to go.
+1 to ExactLEE what he said.

I have no clue why they use it for fence, & don't care. That's just what the guy told me. If he shows up at the appointed time & appears to competent & careful felling these trees, he can do anything he wants with them. I'll be happy to be rid of them @ no cost or labor. That will make a very nice area to stack more firewood, & let the oak, cherry, & walnut saplings get more sun. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.