Question: Loyal Subjects of Montgomery county MD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

louloulou

Nov 21, 2012
I live on 5 acres in Montgomery county MD. I am interested
in putting in an out-door boiler system to heat my home with
all of the waste wood and downed trees on my property.

My question is, what is the ruling class edict bestowed
upon a humble serf like me regarding operating an out
door boiler on my own property?

All kidding aside, are there any (I am sure there are)
rules regarding the operation of an out door boiler
in Montgomery county?

The general consesus nationwide is that if you live someplace currently unregulated, it won't be that way for long. Whether or not it is justifiable the war on outdoor boilers, it seems, has just begun.

If an outdoor boiler is what I wanted/needed in 2012/2013 I'd consider building a cheap shed and putting an indoor unit inside the shed. Limit your exposure to future legistlation, potentially.

Reactions: Taylor Sutherland
If you have neighbors that are affected by your smoke things can also become unpleasant even if it is legal. I had to make a trip up north today and there's a smoke dragon that can be seen from I-91 in North Hartland that is continuously smoking and every time I go by it I make the comment that his days are numbered. Today we were getting filtered sun and there was a slight inversion. The whole village was filled with smoke. I wouldn't want to be his neighbor.

If an outdoor wood boilers is what you need, then at least put one in that has EPA approval and go trough the permitting process.
Check this link for apporved manufacturers/models: http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/owhhlist.html#

Status
Not open for further replies.