Question: Non-Combustable material and flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhboy603

Aug 30, 2014
NH
All,

I'm getting a new ZC wood burning insert installed soon (Fireplace Xtrodinair 44). I have the opportunity to completely frame it in (actually the requirement) from scratch.

The manual states 4.5" clearance on the front from combustable materials. Due to some complex factors not worth describing here, I'd like to cut that in half -- say 2".

My question is this: Could I frame it with steel studs and cement board (aka Durock) and make the distance 2"?

Thoughts?

Yes, that sounds possible. The objective is to keep any combustible the prescribed distance (or more) away from the hot face of the stove. Draw up a sketch and send it to FPX for verification and document the installation well for the inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.