Question of the day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

There is quite a battle going on in the insulation industry concerning bubble wrap for ducts vs fiberglass wrapping. I will supply more on both later.

The question: Which facing of insulation is best Foil or Kraft facings and why? New research came up with evidence I never gave a thought to, so let the debate begin

If they both have the same insulating properties, i would think the most eco freindly product to install would be bubble wrap. You wouldnt have to breath in all those fibers, and it would be fairly durable. But i dont think bubble wrap has the same r value of bat insulation. I would think that mabey that blue cottony stuff would mabey be a good compromise.

Let me re- phrase the question bubble wrap has nothing to do with the debate just yet.

Which is better wall insulation, foil faced R13, or Kraft faced R13, assuming equal pricing

Yes MSG but the tar adheisives of the foil backing are every bit flamable. it should be covered up. Vintage is getting closer to what the answer is.

I thought the scientific types would charm in on this debate

My answer is actually: DK
Thought the question would be how hot it was going to get here in the Northeast again?
Sorry!

If the question is foil vs. kraft, I vote for carefully installed foil, because it would provide vapor (no convection) and radiant barrier as well.

Steve

good answer that's what I thought. but not the answer Owens Corning provided

I will provide Owens corning / John Mansville/ answer after my round of golf. If I get a hole in one I will have to call a cab quite a pool built up for 7 years.. Other than that after 9:00 pm EST.
What nobody has gone to Corning's web site of goggled the question.
Hopefully this will touch the insulation debate A lot of streching the truth going on. Also there is a shortage of R38 19" width to fit between engineered 19.5" joist centers

More on engineered joist in the Mac Mansions built cheap in the Ash Can. Gideon, something to think about

Isn't that a 19.2 spacing?

correct 19.2 spacing sucks

As I allude to a huge battle is brewing in the insulation industry. One side is the bubble wrap the other side Owns Corning /John Mansville. The initial issue being duct wrap insulation. I was present where the discussion took place at the state of MA code revisions. The state of Ma wants to increase the r-value of duct wrap from R-5.0 to R-8.0. This increase would all but eliminate the bubble wrap industry Their product being more expensive than fiberglass insulation, would require double wrapping, making it cost prohibited The bubble wrap industry threatened a law suit claiming unfair businesses practices among other claims, THE FIBER GLASS INSULATION INDUSTRY financed testing and research proving the bubble wrap did not equal the r-values and flame spread ratings. Along the way, the testing and research came up with results, that foil faced insulation oxidized and retarded their reflective value. Within one year’s time. The answer to the question of the day was, Kraft faced insulation was better than foil faced

In the link below are the results of bubble wrap testing financed by the fiberglass industry but done by the industry standard third party.

The fiberglass industry is also being challenged by poly fill isotherm insulation
The poly insulation is trying to discredit the fiberglass r-values due to voids in its installation procedure. Truth be told, the poly isotherm R-value was based on a full 4” wall cavity. not the common 3.5” 2/4 construction. The r-value per sq in favored fiber glass. Testing also proved the poly isotherm needed an additional strong vapor barrier. And that kraft faced fiberglass insulation installed correctly provided a better vapor barriers and more r-value for inch and it is cheaper. , Note nowhere did I mention celeous

This link will also support these findings and cast a lot of un answered questions about bubble wrap

http://www.naima.org/pages/resources/library/html/AH135.HTML

Status
Not open for further replies.