Question of wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got some free firewood, it's Spruce and Birch. It is all 3 or 4 years old. It was cut to 12 inch rounds 4 years ago and stacked up outside in the weather. It was given to me and I just split it. Some is hard and some is soft. Is this wood ok to burn?

BTW Birch and Spruce is what everybody burns in Alaska.

Around here Birch would rot if left out in the round. The proof of the pudding is in the eating so toss a few splits in the stove and see what it does.

LLigetfa said:
Around here Birch would rot if left out in the round. The proof of the pudding is in the eating so toss a few splits in the stove and see what it does.

That's something I did not know. Why would it rot if stacked off the ground? I can see a log getting punky in spots, but cut rounds?

Sounds like the catch is a great one. The combination will give you good heat. We don't have birch, but the bench I work at is hard as hell and is birch, I'd burn it if I didn't have to make a living.....

Birch bark holds water in the round as well as it kept it out of canoes. Makes decent firewood but needs to be split.

Give it a try . . . as mentioned birch can become pretty punky . . . but if the wood is off the ground it may be good to go.

I'm betting it is still good to burn.

Well, it burned, its not completly soft, but you can pull chunks out of it in the middle when you split it on some of the rounds. The wood is relativley light, so I don't think it's wet, like I said it's 4 years old.

Didnt burn as hot as the spruce does, the spruce lights right up. I am going to split it all and stack it up out of the weather and then try and burn it. I am new to woodburning and I don't want a creosote problem or a chimeny fire, so you guys are probably going to get a bunch of questions from me.

I will post pictures of the wood tonight.

AlaskanRedneck said:
Well, it burned, its not completly soft, but you can pull chunks out of it in the middle when you split it on some of the rounds. The wood is relativley light, so I don't think it's wet, like I said it's 4 years old.

Birch can have a pithy heart wood. The center of the tree dies off and starts to decay long before the rest of the tree. It would suggest the tree was older. If it has been stacked for four years, split and burn, it's dry,even if in rounds it should be ready. You could pick up an inexpensive moisture meter and test. Maybe a lumber supplier or rental store has one for rent. They are not real expensive. Split the wood and check as close to the cent of the round and around the middle, check more than a few spots.

BTW, you will notice a difference in the burn of the two woods, both should give you good heat though.

AlaskanRedneck said:

Didnt burn as hot as the spruce does, the spruce lights right up. I am going to split it all and stack it up out of the weather and then try and burn it. I am new to woodburning and I don't want a creosote problem or a chimeny fire, so you guys are probably going to get a bunch of questions from me.

Glad to hear it at least burns. Burn that before the real cold weather sets in. Punky wood can still burn but not a lot of heat from it. Naturally if it gets so soft it crumbles, then it is good stuff to throw away but you might be able to salvage the outer rings and just throw away the heart wood.

You and a lot of others are new to wood burning. Well, we all were at one time! It is nice that a good collection of wood burners can come together and help each other out. So, keep the questions coming; we don't mind at all and enjoy being able to help.

AlaskanRedneck said:

Of course it will burn if it is dry. If it is punky it will still burn but not throw a lot of hear. Spruce is low on the btu chart but it still throws btus. Birch goes punky fast.
Creosote is caused by wet wood or too little air in the air/fuel mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.