Question on air control.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckwheat12n

Aug 1, 2006
This is my first year using my Wood furnace. It has two air controls on it, one on the ash pan door, the other on the feed door. Generally speaking how should I be using these air controls. I've been opening up both the bottom air inlet (inlet on ash pan door) and top inlet (on feed door), then once the fire gets burning closing the bottom inlet and adjusting the top inlet down until there is just a slight visible flame. Is this the correct way of adjusting the air controls or should I not be closing the bottom one totally. Am I using the controls in a way that will promote an efficient burn or is there a better way of going about it?

What kind of furnace is it? You need some air from under the fire, then some air over the fire to help burn off the gasses. Just keep an eye on your chimney and you'll learn about what you need to produce a good fire. Every chimney and situation is different, so adjust it to your needs.

It's a US Stove Wood/Coal Add on furnace. I'm currently burning wood only. There were no instructions on how to adjust the controls throughout the burning process.

Wood coal explains wood air feeds are usually from the top Coal fire are feed from bottom air If you feed from the bottom full open you can create a blast furnace effect it should only be used for startup and closed then top regulated

elk's right , their wood coal unit is similar to the 28-3500 wood furnace we produce, the bottom draft control should only be used for starting if you need to get a little kick start to a kindling fire, or if you are burning coal. if you are using as a primary wood burning unit , do not leave the bottom draft open during your burn cycle with wood only , this could damage the unit due to overfiring. coal will not "run away" like wood will with underneath air so having that bottom draft cracked open with coal is acceptable , but not with wood.

I have my bottom damper open 2 1/2 turns and my rear air is open due to the forced draft kit. I don't use my door damper because my thermostat is broke and too expensive to fix. They burn better with the bottom damper slightly open. I have the USStove 1500 Hotblast wood/coal furnace. I use the bottom dampers to help keep the fire hotter underneath which in return helps the gasses burn better. Just dont open the damper on the bottom all of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.