Question on ash pan and no ash pan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mchud

Jul 21, 2008
western mass
Hello I am new to the forum and we are looking to purchase a pellet stove for our basement. I have been looking at some Englander stoves and a few others but what I really do not understand is if it is better to have a ash pan or are the clean outs fine? The pan seems to make more sense due to simplicity and not having to shut the stove down to clean. Am I on the right track or is it not a big deal. Thanks for all of the help.

Hello I am new to the forum and we are looking to purchase a pellet stove for our basement. I have been looking at some Englander stoves and a few others but what I really do not understand is if it is better to have a ash pan or are the clean outs fine? The pan seems to make more sense due to simplicity and not having to shut the stove down to clean. Am I on the right track or is it not a big deal. Thanks for all of the help.

I have a Harman Fireplace insert. It has an ash pan. If you didn't have an ash pan it would be a little bit of rolling the dice to clean it out on the go with a quick small shovel or dustpan with a steel can or pail. Your choice, but from my experience I prefer to do a quick empty of the ash pan to a topped small steel trash can in the garage and replace the pan with the stove continuously running (wearing a fire mitt). My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.