Question on bar oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just made waste oil in my shorts. I'm not going to put it on my chainsaw bar. If you want to put it on your chainsaw I'm not going to stop you. You can do whatever you want. It's that simple. This should be the end of the conversation.

Last edited:
Sometimes confession is good for the soul. Unfortunately this time...

Reactions: dougand3
Neat thoughts here,but never once saw anyone bring up the fact the lubricating properties of used motor oil is very low.Should always be disposed of properly.Lots of people use veggie or canola for cutting up meat.Hey water is cheap,why not use it.Lubrication is relative.;lol

Water just wouldn't work, as the oil does all the links on the chain too. Rusty ones don't turn for long. Water with a little soap in it does work well on the bandmill though.

Yep used to use a water soluble oil mix in the old bridgeport mill.Doesn't sound right but worked very well.Was in the 70's so probably not ecologicaly sound.

I don't even like to have used motor oil touch my bare hands,I always wear nitrilegloves when handling stuff like old oil, brake cleaner, carb cleaner........

As a retired Machinist I'd hate to say how much tapping fluid I went through that contained 1,1,1-trichloroethane. The stuff worked but I have wonder if down the road or if it's having an affects me now, I have Meniere's Disease, I can keep under control for the most part but never completely.

The last gallon of chain oil I purchased was from HD and it was less than $10.

A gallon of veggie oil is ~$8.99. I have 2 dolkita 6421s and a husky 435t. That is close to $2,000 worth of saws (retail prices). Am I going to risk damage to the saws to save $1.01- short answer - NO!

I was looking at getting another gallon soon, searching turned up this
http://www.sears.com/green-earth-te...M7027160202?prdNo=19&blockNo=19&blockType=G19
Anyone used this? Other gallons go for in the $50ish range which is way too much. Last gallon I bought was Husky premium at Lowes and it was around $12. I like that the Green Earth stuff is made in the USA

Wow $9.20 for the oil and $9.65 for shipping. If I could find it for around the $9.20 w/o shipping that wouldn't be too bad.

IIRC it was in stock at my local Sears so I wouldn't need shipping. Maybe I'll get a gallon and give it a try?
EDIT: It is only available through shipping, I didn't look close enough. So thats that, I'm not paying $9 something for shipping I'll go to Lowes for the Husky oil

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.