Question on boiler choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbsdolmar

Sep 15, 2009
Central Pa
I'm thinking about changing my New Yorker WC-130 to a gasification boiler. I've narrowed it down to 3 different units. The Attack DP 45, EKO 40 or the Biomass 40. I don't think at this point that I'll add any storage. I have two 50,000 btu hydro air units and a super store indirect water heater. My house is 2900 sq ft. I found a lot of info on the EKO here. I would like some input on the Attack and the Biomass from some that have them. Thanks

Do you have a local dealer for any of these brands? That might be a good spot to start. Kicking the tires always helps...

You may want to contact Zenon at New Horizon for more information on the Biomass. It is his design and is made for him. It has a lower chamber refractory like the Atmos and turbulator/cleaners like the EKO. There are a few owners on this site who have then & seem to like them, do a search. I think there is an owner or two of the Attack also.

My limited experience tells me that storage is very important. I hope some folks that know more will comment on this.

sgschwend said:
My limited experience tells me that storage is very important. I hope some folks that know more will comment on this.

Do a search on this site, should come across some good info. Basically to get wood boilers to burn efficiently, this should be done so the boiler will burn wide open most of the time. Let the boiler burn wide open, store your heat in a tank, then when your house needs heat(or DHW) it extracts the heat from the tank. Tank gets low on stored heat, build another fire. In the dead of winter I build 1 fire a day(this all depends on your heat load). In the summer I build a fire about every 5 days for DHW. (Thermal storage tanks are based on the same principal as solar thermal systems.)This is done with a gassifier wood boiler. There are others that will explain this a he!! of a lot better than me, but see if you can do a search first. A lot of guys here have built there own tanks, multiple different shapes/sizes/etc. Thermal storage gives some flexability for me. We got a good frost last night. Started the fire last night, filled firebox and left(burns a little less than 4 hours before going out). This heated our dhw and is still providing me with heat in my radiant flr in my kitchen. Should be good for a couple of days before I start another fire. I think I'm going to consume about 6 maybe 7 cord a year, to supply a 1800sq/ft house with 3 kids. Thats year round. Thermal storage helps with that, but the gassifier boiler is the important part.

www.americansolartechnics.com -This is the outfit I got my thermal storage tank from. Click on 820 gal tank(thats the one I have) and also click on heat exchangers. Read the write up the hx. What they say seems to be spot on what I get for performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.