Question on chimney length.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magus

Nov 17, 2010
Michigan
Right now I am operating my stove with only a 36" triple wall pipe.
from the install it is about 3 inches into the house, 7.5 inches past joist and 1 inch past the plywood and shingles.

This gives me 11.5 inches taken off before it exits the roof.

Dura-vent Duraplus says if I go more than 4feet I need to have a brace for it.

Even if I add a two foot section of pipe that is only putting me a 4' 1" I should not need a brace correct?

The reason why I ask is because I have to jam pack my stove box and have the air wide open to get the flue temp to 425 degrees.

Will a longer chimney create a better draft to get up to higher temps where I can cut off some of the air supply and regulate so I can have an extended burn.

I know its a lot of question but feel free to chime in.

To be honest, I think I am only 1ft over the ridge which is 6ft away.
Another note, I have a 2-12 pitch roof.

On whether to have the chimney braced or not, I say if in doubt, brace it. In your case it also sounds as if it needs it.

Taller chimneys are usually best but don't expect a super big difference. I remember having an extra 4' on ours but could not notice enough difference in the stove to warrant the price. Yet others notice a big difference right away. I usually tell folks to go to the hardware and buy some cheap pipe and then stick that on the top of their chimney for a short time to see if there is a difference. That is a bit better than paying a big price for chimney that you may not need. If you find it works good, then it has not cost much for the experiment.

Also, if you want a long regulated burn, you don't necessarily want it hotter. If you burn it hotter, the fire will not last as long.

Status
Not open for further replies.