Question on Clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbalto

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
I'm considering reconfiguring our hearth and need clarification on what’s considered non-combustible. My stove would top vent and then rise 3’ or so before turning 90 degrees and through the wall into the Class A tee section. My house is all wood framed construction; no masonry.
If I were to use metal studs, hardibacker/durarock, and unfaced insulation for the 4’ wide by 8’ tall wall section behind the stove, would that wall then be considered non-combustible? I’d really like to keep the stove as close to the wall as possible.
Thanks

Technically this sounds correct. But be sure to document what you want to do and get it pre-approved before inspection. I would take photos too when in the framing and insulation phase and use Roxul in that wall. Note that this only relocates the rear clearance as measured to the outside sheething of the house if that is the nearest combustible.

Status
Not open for further replies.