Question on Direct vent.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shtrdave

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2012
SW PA
I believe that is what it is called. The stove is going to sit directly in front of a window, no other place to put it. They are going to run the exhaust right through the walls to the outside and then on the end of it will be something that looks similar to a dryer vent, they say it needs to be at least 18" off the ground and extend past the outside wall at least 12".

My question is do I have to worry about what is under it, there is grass and leaves and such. There is a hillside about 30 feet away that is covered with trees and most of the leaves end up inside my fence.

As of now we have it scheduled for next Wed. 3-14 for install. Just wondering what if anything I need to do outside, I have everything done inside as far as the clean path and everything.

thanks

Dave: My first thought would be to check with the local authorities/code officer and see what is required. It recommended that a vent not terminate withing 4 feet of an operational window. May require disabling the window (screwing it shut.)' Underneath the vent would depend on how high above ground the vent terminates. If its minimal, ie 18-30 inches, I would clear out any flammable for about 4 feet under the termination cap, and put down some gravel. Then check and remove any accumulated debris when I clean the stove. Just my $0.02.

Red the owners manual.

Eric

Follow all Clearance to Combustibles in the Stove manual and also the vent manual.

What stove are you getting?

Directly in front of a window?? Does this window open?

Getting a Harman P43, we will be above the required 18' off the ground, and because of the window I will have an OAK.
Yes the window does open it is about 4 years old, I rarely open it.

I will ask the company putting it in also, just with never having anything like this I was curious as to how many sparks and ember would come out of it.

PADave said:
Getting a Harman P43, we will be above the required 18' off the ground, and because of the window I will have an OAK.
Yes the window does open it is about 4 years old, I rarely open it.

I will ask the company putting it in also, just with never having anything like this I was curious as to how many sparks and ember would come out of it.

Make sure any bushes are trimmed, might want to get a spark bucket, too.

Its venting directly in front of a window? Harman has a reduction to 18" "beside" a window. But your not beside the window. Your in front of it.

The window has to be deemed inoperable or you have to go 1' above the window outside.

Can you post any pics? Or a sketch or some sort of drawing (windows paint?).

Not real good with the paint thing, so this is the best I could do.

The walls are from outside in, vinyl siding, some insulation, concrete block, 2x6 studs with insulation, 1/2" plywood or similar, and 1/4" paneling.

According to Harman the exhaust is 9" center from the base add my 11 or 12" and we are 21" from floor and 26" from base of window to center of exhaust, and given that the ground outside is level with the concrete floor inside and my floor is 2x4 studs with 3/4 plywood, should be 25ish to center of exhaust from ground outside.

Outside ground it shale, that has some grass, I usually spray it in the spring, no bushes just leaves and stuff that blow around.

hope my picture shows up.

Attachments

• PTDC0071.jpg
    PTDC0071.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 228
Hopefully the installers will tell you what needs done. Unless that window can not be opened, the vent will have to go vertical (1 ft above the window).

Can the stove be moved over? So you are 18" from the window?

Unfortunately no it can't be move, I have a small apartment and this is the only spot I have that I can put it. the window doesn't get opened, I didn't want a window, was happy with the glass block, but my mother at the time I was putting this all together wanted one.

From the P43 installation manual:

The clearance to a window or door that may be
opened must be a minimum of 48" to the side, 48" below
the window/door, and 12" above the window/door.1 (with
outside air installed, 18†to the side or below

mikkeeh said:

Yep... Thats why he has to make the window "inoperable" or the Insurance Co. or Inspector is not gonna like it. Can't terminate under an opening window.

The installer's should know this.

The sparks and embers flying out wont matter if its above the height requirement. Its the window thats not up to Snuff. It needs to be farther over.

We put down some patio blocks under the vent on ours just in case.

I'm surprised that your landlord is allowing that kind of work in an apartment even.

I wouldn't want a pellet stove vent to be anywhere near the ground, just a fire waiting to happen if dry grass, leaves, etc gets near that.

mikkeeh said:

So if I read this correctly, as long as I have an OAK it can be within 18" of the side or below?

The installer told me that the vent was going to have to extend at least 12" from the building.

Insurance, I spoke with my agent and he said I could put in whatever I wanted as long as I kept my current primary heat source operable. No inspections or anything would be needed from them.

As for the apartment, I bought a 40x60 block building, and built about 1000 sq ft of it into a wheelchair accessible 2 bedroom apartment. My mother was ina nursing home and we thought she was going to get out and her current home would not have worked.

The patio block thing, is a good idea, I was thinking about some sidewalk slabs under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.