Question on Enviro EF5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

urkiddin

Dec 3, 2009
Southwest Vt.
I bought a magnahelic meter for checking the stove.I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a hose fitting around here that will fit into the 1/8 hole in the front of the stove.I'm thinking of drillng it out a smidgon but wonder if it will effect the operation of the stove.It's like a 1/8" od hole and the only fittings i can find are 1/8"id.

You should be able to use a file and slightly enlarge the hole just enough so the tube fits. It shouldn't effect the stove any. If you do drill it, Just go to the just big enough size. Don't go a 1/64, 1/32 larger or something. Look for a bit at the hardware store that will be ever so slightly bigger than the tube. A number or letter drill should be just big enough.

I don't have my chart here at home, But I can post a bit that is just slightly larger if you need me to tomorrow?

what i used was the tip from an injector for cooking/bbq'ing it's like a big hypodermic needle . then wrapped it with some hi-temp flue tape which when pressed against the stove formed a seal .

give me 5 mins and i'll post a pic .

k here goes

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

these are available at home depot in the bbq section and many other places .

Try a needle for blowing up a ball (eg football ) thats what I use

the reason that hole is the size it is, is the enginers decided to use a piece of copper tubing cut from a thermocouple as thats what they had it the lab at the time

I drilled it out a little.The fitting i found fits in nice and tight now.Doesn't seem to effect the operation at all.I plug it with a bolt when i'm not taking a reading.I found that i seem to be getting to much air from the oak.The tech manual says it should be .10 on hi-fire.I getting .16 with the slider/damper closed all the way.I blocked off the oak and the flame turned orange and lazy and went out.I"m going to try restricting the oak size today and see what i get for readings.

If your reading is too high, you're not getting enough air through the OAK (I think). Try opening the damper, that should lower your reading (if I'm understanding you correctly).

If your reading is too high, you're not getting enough air through the OAK (I think). Try opening the damper, that should lower your reading (if I'm understanding you correctly).

If i open the damper the reading goes to .27 so i believe i'm right that it's getting to much air.

The season is almost over now so i'm not concerned that much.This year i plan on changing all the gaskets.

incoming air, fire pot (restriction), space between fire pot and exhaust blower and then the exhaust. that is the path of the air through a stove. the fire pot is the restriction and the exhaust blower is the suction. those two together is what gives you the vacuum reading between the fire pot and exhaust blower. if you restrict the incoming air you now have 2 restrictions for the blower to try to pull air through which will increase your vacuum reading.

Reactions: heat seeker
incoming air, fire pot (restriction), space between fire pot and exhaust blower and then the exhaust. that is the path of the air through a stove. the fire pot is the restriction and the exhaust blower is the suction. those two together is what gives you the vacuum reading between the fire pot and exhaust blower. if you restrict the incoming air you now have 2 restrictions for the blower to try to pull air through which will increase your vacuum reading.
So what your saying is i'm not getting enough air right? Why does the reading go up then when i open the damper all the way?I would think that would create less vacuum.Yesterday when i chked the readings i got 0.18 in-wg on hi- fire with the damper fully closed and 0.27 in-wg with the damper full open.According to the tech manual the reading should be 0.10 on hi fire but it seems i can't get it that low no matter where the damper is set.What i might do today is try a reading at the vacuum hose and see if it's the same as where i'm taking the reading now.(in the small hole just above the ash clean out door).life was easier before i bought this meter.

some companies and i'm guessing enviro does it this way based on what your saying, increase and decrease the airflow after the burnpot, so the restriction is after the fire pot where the vacuum is being read. when closed this allows the exhaust blower to suck less air and you get less vacuum. open it wide up and its pulling as much air as possible increasing your vacuum. i could be wrong but based on your description and what i know of how other stoves are designed i believe that is what they are doing.

Reactions: heat seeker
some companies and i'm guessing enviro does it this way based on what your saying, increase and decrease the airflow after the burnpot, so the restriction is after the fire pot where the vacuum is being read. when closed this allows the exhaust blower to suck less air and you get less vacuum. open it wide up and its pulling as much air as possible increasing your vacuum. i could be wrong but based on your description and what i know of how other stoves are designed i believe that is what they are doing.

That's correct.The damper is located just before the exhaust blower so this stove works as you describe.I have to pull the side cover off and see if the vacuum hose is before the damper or after it (can't remember) and take a reading there.

Status
Not open for further replies.