Question on Exhaust Blower Cleaning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireManDan

Mar 6, 2011
Scotland,CT
On my englander stove i decided to take off the Blower for cleaning and to change out the gasket on it before the season gets here. After i took the blower off i noticed there is like a small tube in the area the flange bolts to. What is this tube? and should i take a small brush to clean it off. I will also inspect the augers and check the rest of the internals of the stove. The previous owner was a clean freak so it was cleaned meticulously, so it mainly normal where in parts i need to look for.

On another note i just got back from a Vacation in Maine in the Scarborough Area and Harrington Area. I really wish CT had as many stove shops as you maine folks have. I was really impressed with the quantity and quality of theses places.

FireManDan said:
On another note i just got back from a Vacation in Maine in the Scarborough Area and Harrington Area. I really wish CT had as many stove shops as you Maine folks have. I was really impressed with the quantity and quality of theses places.
Most of us in Maine are limited to oil, propane, or electric. Our alternative is burring biomass which is abundant and generally half the cost of oil heat and even more of a savings from electric and propane. While we do have a lot of stove shops, buyers need to shop around. So many people are getting into the business and may not be as prepared to service their customers. I've seen stoves available at furniture stores, cell phone shops, pool shops and big box stores. Some are good retail outlets for their products, others, well, lets say they need to hire skilled staff if they want to have good sales and keep in business.
Hope you enjoyed your stay in Maine, I also hope you will tell others where you had a good time, and please keep us in mind for some of your other vacations.
Good luck with your stove.

FireManDan said:
On my englander stove i decided to take off the Blower for cleaning and to change out the gasket on it before the season gets here. After i took the blower off i noticed there is like a small tube in the area the flange bolts to. What is this tube? and should i take a small brush to clean it off......

The 25-PDVC has 2 vacuum switches in it, and I think that's what you're looking at....the end of the metal hose barb. They're connected by a plastic hose and are used to confirm the presence of vacuum in the stove, and in your case, confirming that the comb. blower is clean and working. I THINK this is what you are referring to, although a pic of it would confirm that.

This needs to be cleaned inside ( a pipe cleaner works well), and the plastic (silicone) tube attached to the opposite end of it needs to be checked for tears/holes in it every cleaning. If it gets clogged w/ ash, the signal to the control board won't be there, and the stove will shut down.

Heres a Picture of the tube and its all cleaned out wasnt to filthy in there just gave it a quick brushing and its all clean.

Attachments

• tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 294
The other question i had was the lower auger motor has the yellowing around where the wires would be . Should i goahead and replace the motor before the cold gets here? theres no noise or anything and it feels smooth.

Attachments

• aug.jpg
    aug.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 307
As long as it doesn't make any noise, and runs smoothly, I wouldn't worry too much. How old is the stove?

About the only thing you might want to do is to swap the 2 auger motors....give the one that runs all the time a "rest", and vice versa.

Its a 2005. The owner had replaced the upper auger with a new one about one season ago.

FireManDan said:
Its a 2005. The owner had replaced the upper auger with a new one about one season ago.

An even better reason to swap them.....if original, the bottom has run continuously for 6 heating season while burning.

Ok will do the swap then. I just put in all new ve.nt today Simpson duravent . Is greasing the auger necessary I noticed the fitting today .

FireManDan said:
....Is greasing the auger necessary I noticed the fitting today .

AFAIK, most auger motors don't have a grease fitting....is it on the gearcase? If so, a shot of grease can't hurt.

Yeah its the gearcase ill just service it all when im in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.