Question on fan settings on Englander 28-3500 Wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigoak9745

Jul 23, 2008
Clare, MI
I just got a Englander 28-3500 Wood furnace to replace my older wood furnace with about 2 weeks of burning left last winter. The Englander works fine. But...I am not sure on ideal setting of blower> I start a fire and the oulet to register stack gets so hot you can hardly touch it before the fan kicks on. Their are 3 different dial settings...I have tried moving them a little bit need some help. I want the fan to kick on sooner. I know from being on this site that their are some Englander guru's that are on here.

ANy help will be appreciated.

If I can get this fan set right, then otherwise this Englander is well worth the money! A good no frills unit that holds fire well.

Thanks , Dave

On the back of your 28-3500 you will find the fan control box. ( On mine it is silver and in the upper left corner) The cover for this box slides straight off by pulling it out and away from the furnace. Once you have the cover off, you will see the limit dial with three pointers. When looking at it, the one to your left controls the fan off temp. The middle one controls the fan on temp, the right hand one controls the limit open. To adjust the pointers, hold the dial with one hand and slide the pointer with your other hand so that the dial doesn't move when you adjust the pointer. On mine I adjusted both the Fan off and Fan on pointers further down the scale (slide to left). What this did was allow the fan to start sooner and stay on longer. I would suggest taking the cover off, looking at the dial with a flashlight so you can see the numbers/scale hash marks and jot down your factory settings so you know where you started and can decide if the change you made helped or hurt your situation. (I used to do a lot of racing at Watkin's Glen - set up notes are an ingrained thing for me to do whenever I made any change to my car, and I would only make one change at a time so I could accurately track progress) Got a garage full of trophies too! Stay warm - you're gonna love that baby!
Larry

Moving to the boiler room in case there are other Englander add-on folk that want to add info.

If I am following the question correctly, it sounds like you'll want the center pointer - fan on, on the limit switch to be set to a lower temperature. Move it to the left, closer to the Fan Off pointer. Try a setting of around 120 degrees for the middle pointer and see how that works for you.

Attachments

• engl_furnace_ctrl.jpg
    engl_furnace_ctrl.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 900
Status
Not open for further replies.