Question on flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdog

Oct 15, 2013
Mineral wells wv
Ok guys on start up or reload what do you guys let your flue get to temp wise before you shut down air on it. Sigle wall stove pipe on mine just wondering whats safe on start up and reload say it gets to 500 for a min then starts coming down when i shut the air off and hovers around 300-315 when its cruising is this ok. And temp is surface temp to

About 20 inches or so up the stove pipe I have a condar magnetic unit like this

Woodsaver.jpg

When it gets to 1/2 way up in the Best Operation zone (300-325 degrees or so) is when I start turning the air down in increments. Usually it's 3 reductions until I'm set for a cruise.

After I make an adjustment, I wait for it to climb just a bit before I make another. Doing that keeps me from adjusting too quickly and stalling the burn.

And we have a horizontal flue with a condar thermometer. We go anywhere between 400-500 for a gauge of when to turn things down.

Yea that's what iv been doing I have a Rutland one it says optimal burn 300-550. It's about 16" up on my flue it's a straight run all the way out and that's whT iv been doing to get it up to 700 stove top then start shutting it down it's working good this way and it slowly starts going down to 300 where it stays thx guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.