Question on how much HP for a winch to pull a tree trunk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougA

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2012
S. ON
I've got some black cherry and oak deadfall in the bush that I'm going to cut with a portable sawmill to use for furniture. The trunks are roughly 18"x9' and I want to winch them closer to a 1/2 ton p/u. My calculations are that they should weigh just over a ton each however, I have to add drag factor over snow or bare ground. Just not sure what that will be. Anyone done this?

Trying to weigh whether it's better to buy a large winch (my 1 ton will not be enough) or hire someone to come in with a big tractor with a FEL. Somehow I think it might be safer to let the tractor do it but that means cutting down some younger trees for access.

Is there a reason that you need a winch to do the job? Snatch blocks a bull rope and your existing truck would be a cheap and effective way - if possible.

Reactions: TreePointer
Been there and done that, and busted my cable trying to pull whole trunks out. Learned the best way is to buck them to their intended length, limb them, and then pull them out one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.