Question on insulating the flu lining for new zero clearance wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlightning

Burning Hunk
Feb 28, 2011
Southeast PA
It is quite an adventure figuring out which stoves I can use in my zero clearance fireplace! I have finally found the one I want...a Hampton HI300 w/ flat black finish. One thing I don't understand is that one of the places I looked were charging $1300 for parts and installation while the other place is charging $1600 for parts and installation. The difference is that the installer that is charging more is wrapping the flu liner in insulation and the other is not? Do I need the insulation wrap...I am thinking yes but am not totally sure? Another question is that my hearth is just slightly too small, so is there a good temporary fireproof mat or something of the sort I can use to extend my hearth during the winter while I burn?

You'll need to check both the requirements of the insert you're installing and that of the ZC fireplace you're installing it into. I'm betting that it is required though.

What size is the flue you are putting the liner through? Do you have room for the blanket insulation, it will add about 1.5" to the OD of the liner. Usually the insulation is more of a recommendation, than a requirement, but if you have room, and can afford it, I think, most would agree to have it. Stoveboarde or stoveshields are available at most fireplace shops, and even the On Line sites can ship them out. Depending on the size and shape probably $80 and up.

Status
Not open for further replies.