Question on lining 8in stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott9000

Feb 25, 2008
St. Paul, MN
Just picked up a FW240007 from the Lowe's 50% off sale for my 20x30 log cabin. This stove has a 6in Flue requirement and my current set up is 8in double wall from the ceiling up. If possible I would like to avoid replacing the existing pipe because it's only a few years old. The current stove goes from 6in (at stove connection using adapter) up to 8in single wall to the ceiling box. Is there an acceptable way to line existing 8in double wall pipe like the manual states there is for masonry? Thanks for any help - can't wait to get this nice stove installed in the spring.

So you think it's ok to run a 8in set up with the FW240007? In the manual it sounded like we would need to reduce the pipe to 6in for proper draft.

The easiest thing for you to do is to try 6 inch from the stove up and connect to the 8 inch with an adaptor to see if the stack will draw sufficiently to work this stove. You could end up with a "lazy draft". If it the draft is not sufficient, then you can get a 6 inch single wall stainless liner and drop it down (as long as it fits and there aren't any bends that prohibit that, in which case you would have to use flex)

You don't say how high the stack is, for every bit over 16 feet, the draft will be better, so try it and go from there.

Thanks for the response - that's probably what I will start with. Run 6in for the 6 feet or so up to the ceiling at the box where it switches to 8in double wall. I think the stack is over 16 ft - it's probably 7 ft over the roof at almost the highest point. We are in a valley without a huge amount of airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.