Question on pellet stove control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is stove operation normally set with a thermostat that monitors stove temp, and the pellets are fed to maintain a setpoint like cruise control, or is it a simple speed control that feeds pellets?

I'm asking because I'd like to use everything but the stove body to heat something else to a setpoint.

could be either...depends on the units. SOme units, the # of auger rotations is set in relationship to a number setting, like a volume knob on a stereo. SOme, with thermostat controls can opperate on a default speed, of vary speed based on temp differential...and some units use a thermister, and auger rotation set point to maintain a combustion temp..in relationship to the number settings (again, like volume).

I suppose that I could build my own setpoint control system with a relay that turns on the motor. Should be a snap.

in fact- I may have to because the regular thermister/thermocouple would probably melt.

trying to do something with the kiln??

I'd like to have a system that would keep it in "preheat" overnight. I normally have to slowly feed it sticks at 200F for several hours to dry it out- if I could have something feed it at that temp while I slept- it would greatly simplify the process.

that can be done with some off the shelf stuff...and 200F is well within the tolerance of some of the thermisters that stoves use.

Ah, a fellow potter! Welcome. I'm just a part-time enjoyment potter but with your wood kiln, you have to be more serious. Even a small auger set up and a relay controlled by a thermistor/thermometer should feed that beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.