Question on pellet stove glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curt-in-mass

Sep 17, 2011
western ma
I realize the glass is going to get dirty...im trying my luck with a used 4 year old Pel-PRO pellet stove,,,only used about 4 hours with a bag of cheap pellets that came with it..but main question is..Glass is pretty sooty and darkish brown...i did clean before using..but with clean streaks coming up glass about half ..sorta like there is air possibly leaking in that isnt suppose to?Read a few posts about air wash but this isnt one that has it or at least not mentioned in manual...so is stove sucking in air possibly and if so im sure this needs to be fixed and will effect running of stove

Attachments

• P1010667.jpg
    P1010667.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 789
Should have an air wash on the bottom. Light a match and blow it out mear the bottom. The smoke should get sucked through a gap. If the air wash is on the glass. Englander has a different design as does Harman.
Also seems like it could use more air. Is there a damper on the stove. Opening it will let more air in and you will have a cleaner burn.

Edit: It looks like the air wash is plugged or blocked. If it is in fact an air wash (pretty sure it is) then use some compressed air to clean the gap.

Yes. Thats what I meant. Sorry. There should be a gap where the bottom of the glass meets the frame. If you open the door. You should be able to see from one side or the other that there is a gap. When mine gets a little clogged (happened this last season on a side window) I take a lighter and run it close enough to the gap that it sucks the flame in. Not to close, or it will go out (flame gets sucked in) Then run it across the entire gap. Doing this "burned" all the little dust bunnies that had it clogged on the side. My wash is at the top but the same principal applies. Does not have to be long. Find the right distance to hold it and slowly go across. The flame will be drawn into the gap.

Still may need compressed air though. And some stoves just have a bad air wash by design. Not enough air because the gap is to small, etc.

Did finds some info online stating it has airwash...wonder why they didnt include info in owners manual?...will take door off and give good cleaning...dont believe previous owner knew about air wash...thanks for help....you say it looks like burning rich?...if soot accumalates on door what color for correct running stove....light brown soot?

A grey color of sorts. Depends on the pellet quality. But a grey to light grey is good. White is lean or to much air. Does it have a damper on it. That may be the way it burns. But it seems like the ash is a little dark to me. Which indicates to much fuel or to little air. IMO

Does have a damper for air adjustment...took glass right out of door...there is a channel top and bottom where theres no gasket...so must be for air wash...bottom was plugged...will vac and probably just fine tune stove when good pellets arrive...bag that came with it are Walmart pellets so not sure on quality.

Attachments

• P1010693.jpg
    P1010693.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 586
Just a note...has made a world of difference....have longer consistent burn between auger cycles....before seemed to burn out to fast between cycles...and glass didnt soot right up....was a day of learning...thanks for help Dexter

my glass on my pelpro bayview is like yours was, could you get a better pic of the air wash? i looked at my door and do not see where air would come in?

Hey DemonGT....door is back on stove and metal pieces holding glass in door prevent now seeing where air could possibly come in...but as you look at pic i posted you can see gap in bottom of glass between it and door frame,thats where i assume air comes in and possibly on same gap on top as when glass gets sooty can tell as glass looks like an EKG reading with peaks and valleys on bottom and top of glass but not really reaching door frame....dont believe its actually much of a gap between glass and door but enough to do whats its intended to do..hope my babbling helps you out...Curt

Also you can try what Pyro Extraordinaire posted, i didnt try as im certain that he is correct in fact it has airwash..and other stoves listed on Pelpros website mentions airwash..Curt

DemonGT said:
my glass on my pelpro bayview is like yours was, could you get a better pic of the air wash? i looked at my door and do not see where air would come in?

With stove running, use an incense stick and run it around the door (within a 1/2" - 1" away) and you will see where the smoke gets pulled in. That will be the air wash. Although some stoves are a little more complex on how there air wash is generated (Harman and Enviro do not have "slits"). But yours should be on the top, bottom, or both in some cases. (Can use a Cigg if you smoke, but incense works great).

Sometimes it can get plugged and needs to be cleaned. Some stoves air wash works better than others. All stoves get some sooted/ashy glass. Just some are more than others.

Hope this helps.

Just a note that my stove working great...have used about 1/2 ton since end of october...dont run at night but leave furnace set at 66, actually been a fairly warm start to winter here in northeast..ok with me...less money going to the mideast billionaires.

curtinmass said:
Just a note that my stove working great...have used about 1/2 ton since end of october...dont run at night but leave furnace set at 66, actually been a fairly warm start to winter here in northeast..ok with me...less money going to the mideast billionaires.

Glad to hear it.. Nothing like a fine tuned machine.

ran a lighter across top and bottom of glass on outside with stove running and i could see the flame getting sucked up. i also loosened some bolts that i thought were for the air wash. window still pretty sooty
after only one bag but instead of it building up on a few stops its less now but across the whole glass. it does seem to be improved some but im thinking i may need to clean it out manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.