Question on pellet stove install.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartercdad

Aug 14, 2009
Scranton, PA
I just moved into a house with a basement but am renting it. i would like to install pellet stove but not sure if the landlord will let me cut a hole in the wall. so i am wondering if i could take out the glass in a basement window. replace it with 2 pieces of sheet-metal with insulation sandwiched between to install it. basically irt would be just like putting it through a wall but so as to be able to be removed if need be and not be permanent so as it could be removed when i leave. if not what are the alternatives of putting a hole in the wall. or something i could heat my home with besides the electric baseboards.
thanks again

Eric

My biggest concern is you might not get that window sealed properly and get CO backing up into the room. It might even be against your local codes to do that. You should have the mindset to install the pellet stove as a permanent fixture.

I would encourage you to do the right thing and check with the landlord first. If I was a landlord I would want to verify it was done safely so as to assure the safety of my tenants, and not done behind my back. I don't know your lease but it might be expressly forbidden.

Also, the landlords homeowners insurance may not allow it, so I would definitely check with him or her before you continue.

Dude, housing is cheap now. Save yourself the headaches of trying to work out a crazy arrangement with the landlord by buying your own home.

You'll be much further ahead than you'll ever get by trying to save a few bucks on heating.

Obviously this isn't the answer you're looking for but I really think it's worth giving some serious thought to.

take out the window, install a piece of t-11 and go for it... just make sure the term end of the pipe is 18" above said window, 12" out from side of house, and at least 18" above grade, covers most pellet stove install specs..

summit's right , you can install this way , we did my sisters house like this, removed 9in her case glass block) framed it out installed a pass through thimble (standard simpson 30000 kit, multifuel stove so had to use corn rated kit) went up out and up. works like a champ , and the window can be reinstalled if need be later. biggest thing is when you use combustibles for the pass through , you must follow clearance requirements for combustibles even though its passing through a cement wall the framing will be combustible.

Status
Not open for further replies.