Question on quote from contractor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solarity

Sep 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
I am looking at having an existing corner fireplace removed and having a new ZC fireplace installed w/ a new chimney in the existing offset chase. He quoted me around $4,000 and said it wouldn't include the masonry work. He also said he would have to remove parts of the chase on the outside to be able to install new chimney. He also mentioned that there was something called a All Fuel chimney that was insulated one piece chimney. I am curious do any of you know about this type of chimney and what ZC fireplaces are compatible with them? It sounded like a liner, though I know there is a difference between liners and chimneys.

Also if I go with a new chimney, would it make more sense to turn the chimney from an offset to a strait pipe from the garage, could this reduce the cost of installation? It seemed like most of the work he would have to do would be tied up in with the chimney install.

my first questions would be:
1. Why are your removing the existing fireplace?
2. What is the new fireplace he will be installing?
3. Do you have any photos of the existing fireplace, chase and garage area?

Generally, high efficiency wood burning fireplaces use a class A chimney.

1) Mostly esthetics, also like some of the features of the ZC fire places such as integrated forced air kits and outside air to burn. We don't care for the way the fireplace was angled. We prefer a 1 sided fireplace.
2) I am looking at the Flame Monaco XTD
3) I have pictures, though chase sits on top of the garage and the offset transitions from the bottom of the 2nd floor to 1/3 of the way up to the 2nd floor. I have pictures in this thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ireplace-and-heat-w-wood.131404/#post-1767286

Hah, when I went to loo at your fireplace choice (Never heard of that make/mode) and I saw the price, I was going to suggest contacting an enerzone dealer and looking at the 2.5ZC.
Then I went to the manufacturers website and the format looked familiar. Sure enough, yet another brand by Stove Builders International. I sold about a dozen or so Enerzone 2.5ZCs over the past few years. It is a decent fireplace, excellent value for the money. You can feel a definite difference when comparing to some of the heavy duty alternatives from RSF, Regency, Quad, FPE, etc. But it borders on half the price. If you are lucky enough to have an Enerzone dealer close to you, I would go that route, even for a few more dollars. SBI has a great warranty program thru their dealer network. Did you map out a floor plan based on man. specs to see how much room a fireplace like that would take when installed "kiddy corner"?

Also, if this contractor is not an actual hearth dealer, ask what brand/line Class A he is using. Make sure it is one allowed by the fireplace manufacturer.

We do have an Enerzone Dealer and I took a look at the fire place about a month ago. They seem decent on the price, but very pricey on the chimney. I am curious for $600, what all am I getting for the price? All I could tell is a bigger CFM motor, a nicer grate and a nickle plated on the doors. A couple of the installers I spoke to said to get the chimneys local as you might need to go back and get more or different pipe.

Last I knew, you could get the Enerzone 2.5 with black doors for a few hundred less than the nickel. Buying chimney local for returns, swaps is a great idea. They wouldn't work on the chimney price if the piping was part of a fireplace deal?

The old chimney pipe is probably not sized correctly and probably not rated for the higher temp requirement that the new insert needs. It is pretty normal to have to replace the old ZC chimney with modern class A pipe when upgrading to an EPA ZC fireplace. The old pipe typically is air cooled and rated at 1700F where the new pipe will be insulated and rated at 2100F.

Get quotes from different installers?
Do the install yourself?
Get a freestanding stove instead of the ZC fireplace?

I have remodeled a bathroom before, granted not all by myself, though my father in-law did install a stove himself. I am still getting quotes from different installers.

If you follow all the directions and get it inspected, etc. Should I be all set?

hrmm...now that I think about it, could I just cut an access hole under the chimney chase and install it that way? Instead of having to take off the siding and etc off the chimney? Do existing chimneys have hooks to keep them centered that need to be removed, do I need to add anything that would require more than just cutting an access hole in the bottom?

When we take them out i usually take the chimney out from the top and climb down into the chase to disassemble it But you will need to open things up to get the fireplace unit out. Does the $4000 include the materials?

It doesn't include the zc fireplace or the chimney if that is what you mean. I understand thefireplace has to be demo'ed. Total he said I would be looking around $10k

That sounds a little high then id get more quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.