Question on radiant heat fro Clayton wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lbart

Oct 1, 2008
WY
Hi,

Hope some folks iwth some experience can provide soem input here.

I am entering the construction phase of our house build where I am getting ready to install our heating/cooling systems.

Our house is sitting in a daylight basement which will be garage and has an approximately 11x8 mechanical room near the garage entrance. This room is constructed of 10" concrete walls, floor and ceiling with a double door access and provision in the headers/ceiling for chimney and venting.

We are planning on installing a high efficiency propane furnace as secondary (while we are gone, warmer days, etc) and a Clayton wood/coal furnace for primary heat. Both will share the same ductwork but provisions have been made as well for return air and fresh combustion air from outside for both.

My main concern is (due to water pressure issues here we are installing a ~120 gallon galvanized steel pressure tank which we are planing on locating this room as well) the radiant heat form the furnace heating stored water in our pressure tank excessively when the furnace is in use during the winter.

Form what i have been told and what I have read this should not pose a problem as the wood furnace should not radiate too much heat---that the majority of the heat will be picked up by the heat exchanger--is that correct?

I jsut need to determine is I need to consider relocating the pressure tank to another area or move the wood furnace itself to the garage?

Any thoughts woudl be greatly appreciated---there are no applicable local codes or inspections here and the general rule is common sense.

I believe my hotblast is made by the same company. If you have an adjustable limit switch on it, you can adjust the temperature the blowers come on and off. If you find you are getting too much radiant heat, you could lower the temperature setting on the limit switch so the blowers would come on sooner and keep the exterior of the furnace cooler. The only issue you could have would be during a power outage when the blowers would not come on to exhaust the heat while the fire is burning inside. If you have a generator, this wouldn't be an issue if you were home. I don't see it being an issue, my furnace is never too hot to touch. If you are installing 2 furnaces side by side, I posted some pictures today that might give you an easier way to install them.

Your tank would have to be very close to the furnace to heat the water and even then I doubt youl'll see temps over 90F ,maybe 100F. These types of furnaces have a jacket which most of the time you can touch with your hand and not get burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.