1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Question on running 6" double wall chimney pipe through roof overhang.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by buckwheat12n, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
    Yes Like it showed in the vent or not vent thread.
    ICC only needed to be vented in it is a moibil home or inclosed unventalated area.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

What about running the pipe threw the overhang and creating a jog, if more space is needed. I think the additional carpentry work,
    Would work out a lot cheaper than the elbows jog in the pipe. Another solution is to cut off the facia trim board to within 2" of the pipe on each side apply your roof flange and trim it to equal the roof line. Since combustiables have been removed and the outer flange is proctecing nothing but air I see no harm.
  3. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

4. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    I stand corrected. Thank you Metal for the updated install manual. My manual was old. When did this change take effect? and does older pipe that pre dates the manual qualify for the reduced clearance?
  5. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

The change took place ~June of '04. All pipe sections need to have a TG Max label, otherwise you need to use the old 2" clearances. Both types will fit together though.
  6. buckwheat12n

buckwheat12n New Member

I got the pipe today. I'm going to start installing it sometime this weekend if time allows. I think I can make it work one way or the other even if a little carpentry work is involved. I'll scope things out better and decide what I'm doing once I can get on the roof. I'm figuring on going through the overhang unless I see otherwise when I get up there....I think the current flashing will work, it may need trimmed a little however.
  7. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Buck, you might want to clarify who your talking to. Lord of fire is a description of senority, the user name is up above that. Lots of lord of fires in here :)
  8. buckwheat12n

buckwheat12n New Member

Yeah, I saw that after I posted and edited my post. I also read his post a few more times and now I understood what he was trying to explain.
  9. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Speaking of "Lord of fire" what are the cross over numbers for that status per posting . What is the next title after "Lord of fire" and the post count to get there ? Was Lord of fire title just added this season ?
  10. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Roo I think 500 is the next post number to lord of fire Mabe we should have a contest to determine the next heading?
  11. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

Buckwheat-Please take a before/after picture for us. Good luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.