Question on Rutland Burn Indicator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chutes

Sep 8, 2008
CT
I picked up a magnetic thermometer. Same one mentioned in this post by DiscoInferno here:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/25762/#271390

My question is, can I or can I not use this on an insert? I attached it to the top of the insert (which obviously was quite hot during my break in fire), but the needle didn't budge. The thermometer came with a wire that I am not using, because the limited instructions talk about wrapping that wire around the pipe. Obviously, that would be possible with a stand alone, but I cannot do that with my insert. Am I suppose to use that wire, and, if so, how? If I'm just supposed to stick it to a metal part of the stove, then mine appears not to work.

The location depends on the insert. What model is this?

Sorry. I should add that to my siggy. It is a Pacific Insert.

But - I did locate it based upon a picture that I saw on the board (though I can't find it now), and after reading a post by Brother Bart who performed an outdoor test, testing the top of the insert vs. the door. But, even on a hot surface the needle does not move. This makes me think that either it isn't working, or I need to use the wire (somehow) that came with it.

Or, I just don't know what I'm talking about, which is entirely possible.

There isn't a lot of room for placing a thermometer on this insert. The best location is on the front face of the stove in the corner just above the door.

As to the question of whether it is working or not, put it on a shelf in the kitchen oven and see if it shows the same temp as the oven at 450 degrees.

If not, back to the store it goes. I got a bad one once and the woman at the Ace store asked what was wrong with it. I told here it wouldn't thermom. She gave me a strange look and went and got me another and and said she hoped this one thermomed OK.

It must be that I'm not asking my question right, so my apologies - but my question is not about placement, it is about the device itself. New, out of the box, it comes with a thin wire that is separate from the unit. The instructions - which are very limited - say something to the effect of running that wire around the pipe, but I believe that is to secure the device and for no other reason. If I put this thing on the door (which I have tried, along with the top) the needle does not move. And we are talking about a very hot surface. Do I need that wire? If not, should I assume this is broken?

Basically, should just attaching this magnetic Rutland Burn Indicator to a hot surface make the needle move? That's what I'm doing, but it never moves...

BrotherBart said:
As to the question of whether it is working or not, put it on a shelf in the kitchen oven and see if it shows the same temp as the oven at 450 degrees.

If not, back to the store it goes. I got a bad one once and the woman at the Ace store asked what was wrong with it. I told here it wouldn't thermom. She gave me a strange look and went and got me another and and said she hoped this one thermomed OK.

Didn't think about that. I'm trying that now. Thanks. I'm guessing I don't need that wire and that if this thing doesn't register on this stove, it is back to, believe it or not, Ace hardware....

Thanks

chutes said:
...should just attaching this magnetic Rutland Burn Indicator to a hot surface make the needle move?...

Yes. Rick

fossil said:
chutes said:
...should just attaching this magnetic Rutland Burn Indicator to a hot surface make the needle move?...

Yes. Rick

Now I understand why my wife says that I talk too much. I should've just stuck to that one sentence.

Thank Rick

The wire is only for folks that stick the thermo on a stove pipe. Heat kills magnets so you wire it to the pipe so that it won't fall on the floor and burn something or somebody.

Could be the little pointer just got stuck, if it got mashed against the face of the thing. If you can't move it freely a bit with a your finger, try bending it out away from the face just a smidge with something really thin and see if you can free it up to move. Rick

Yeah, the wire is to tie it around the stove pipe so it won't accidentally fall. Sounds line yours is malfunctioning if the needle doesn't move at all.

I just bought one two days ago and it seems to be reading about 100 degrees more than it should. (I tested it in my oven)I didn't have wire in the package with mine, so I bet someone had already returned it once.

Status
Not open for further replies.