Question on seasoning white oak indoors......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twang

Oct 13, 2010
usa
Helped a friend cut up a huge standing dead white oak. Noticed when we were splitting that it seemed pretty dry...had that nice sound; all the bark was still attached but it all came off in whole sections and the entire tree was solid(about 2.5 cords) Anyway, the inside splits were about 25-31% moisture(the outer 1/2 was below 25%)....he said he wanted to burn this wood late this season(Feb/Mar) so we stacked it all inside a heated shop single rows spaced 3ft apart. How much should this help with the seasoning and will it be ready in 2-21/2 mths? He said he keeps the shop heated to around 50-55 degrees all the time. I just had no idea if that environment would actually speed the process up very much. Thanks

I stacked about 3 1/2 cord of wood that has been split since early sept. Mostly red oak. It's normally about 50 deg in my basement and I'm running a dehumidifier to try and season extra fast. It seems to be doing the trick so far. Some pieces still hold moisture but most are burning well...

Add a fan to those indoor stacks and you'll get even faster results. There's a thorough thread around here somewhere about doing it that way.

Heck I can have lumber ready in my heated shop in just a few months he should be fine! Thats at 8 percent.

Thanks for the replies. I just called and told him to put some fans on the stacks too. I'll be very interested to see what the wood reads in 2 mths. Very interesting reading the Skyline post.

I'll put a fan on it tonight! This website is deluxe!!

I don't have any humidity indicators but I can say after I started blowing the air around the fireplace room with a fan it felt like I was in the rain forest. I can only guess the fan is doing wonders in seasoning my wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.