Question on stacking and saw chains after first winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terrywillie

Jul 29, 2008
N. E. IN
Hello - Well I have almost survived my first "Wood" winter, if it ever ends. I have been out splitting logs I cut and brought home last summer. and I have a question on stacking. Will wood cut last year, split now, dry for use for 2009/2010 winter if stacked 2 splits wide? It is more of a issue of convenience over space available. I would be able to move it to its final home for next winter much easier. Next question, in the past I have always gone back to the Stihl dealer for chains, is there a better/cheaper chain now that I am using the saw a lot more? I get the impression the anti-kickback chains are not as efficient as the nonanti-kickback.
Thanks, Terry

It depends on the wood. Some wood species dry out well in a season and some take another year.

You might also post the Stihl chain question in the Gear forum. There are some sharp saw folks that hang out there.

sthil is good chain but woodland pro is good for the price at baileys.com that wood if splitt soon sould be good fot this next season

After just recieving a new Husky 339XP for my birthday back in January the chain that came with the saw did not last long. I purchased some Oregon chains, from Amicks. About $13.00 a piece, cut like a dream, and reasonable shipping rates.

What I know now about my stacking routine, it's all been wrong for the quickest seasoning. Stack loosely, leave space between rows. As I am restacking some of my piles now.

KC

BeGreen said:
It depends on the wood. Some wood species dry out well in a season and some take another year.

You might also post the Stihl chain question in the Gear forum. There are some sharp saw folks that hang out there.

Very good BeGreen. I'm sure that pun was intended!

LetItBurn said:
Hello - Well I have almost survived my first "Wood" winter, if it ever ends. I have been out splitting logs I cut and brought home last summer. and I have a question on stacking. Will wood cut last year, split now, dry for use for 2009/2010 winter if stacked 2 splits wide? It is more of a issue of convenience over space available. I would be able to move it to its final home for next winter much easier. Next question, in the past I have always gone back to the Stihl dealer for chains, is there a better/cheaper chain now that I am using the saw a lot more? I get the impression the anti-kickback chains are not as efficient as the nonanti-kickback.
Thanks, Terry

Terry, do you know what kind of wood you have? Not knowing, I'm still going to say that wood should be okay next winter. Especially if you can get it in wind and hopefully sun. Don't cover the pile until winter though and it will dry best that way.

I have no problem with the Stihl chains but Oregon is the oldest and what most loggers use.

I switched from Oregon full chisel to Stihl full chisel and I'm never going back. This Stihl chain holds an edge like you won't believe. 6 cords bucked on one sharpening. I think the chain will outlast the saw.

Thank you, I will go ask more chain questions at gear after I look at Oregon and Woodland, the Stihl have been fine I was just being cheap.

The wood is mostly oak with some black locust, I have this all piled together. I also have 4-6 rounds of silver maple about 2.5-3 feet across. The last pile is 1/2 black/choke cherry and Mulberry. Except for the mulberry it was all the result of a tornado about 15 miles away last summer. I felt sorry for the people that lost the trees and parts of their houses, but smiled all the way to the wood pile. My guess is it will total 3-4 cords when split. My hands and heart were not up to splitting it this winter. based on what you have said I will spread out lose rows, in the full Indiana sun, and hope the better half misses them with the rider.
Thanks again Terry

LLigetfa said:
I switched from Oregon full chisel to Stihl full chisel and I'm never going back. This Stihl chain holds an edge like you won't believe. 6 cords bucked on one sharpening. I think the chain will outlast the saw.

I vote for Stihl FC too. This spring I started with last years chain. 3 chords done and I switched to a new last weekend to put another 5 chords on the ground. Stihl cuttin, and cuttin, and cuttin...Just keep it out the dirt!

Couper

LetItBurn said:
Thanks, Terry

The anti kick chains suck. How many chains are you going through?

Bigg_Redd,
A couple, is the best short answer I can give you. I have a Stihl 026 Pro, I am guessing 10 years old. I have always taken my chains back to the dealer for sharpening because I was a casual user. That and the fact it has always been a challenge for me to get a true razor edge on a knife, so I never tried sharping the saw chains. Since I posted this question I have taken the input and done some more searches and reading. I never realized how poorly I was using my saw! I now understand that there are people out there sawing 5-10 cords with the same chain. I have always kept 3 chains in the saw box, that way I always had a sharp one. I am now down to one good chain. I have found stihl has quite a following, so I will stay with them,I guess.
Redd, for the last 10+ years I have tried to buy tools on the basis that it will be the last time I have to buy that type. Now I find that I don't even know how to use the saw, and may have shortened its life, how disheartening. While I may know 80%, I need to go find "The care, feeding, and correct use of a chainsaw". For the moment I am done asking chain saw questions, I don't know enough for them to be intelligent.
Thanks to all, Terry

LetItBurn said:
Bigg_Redd,
A couple, is the best short answer I can give you. I have a Stihl 026 Pro, I am guessing 10 years old. I have always taken my chains back to the dealer for sharpening because I was a casual user. That and the fact it has always been a challenge for me to get a true razor edge on a knife, so I never tried sharping the saw chains. Since I posted this question I have taken the input and done some more searches and reading. I never realized how poorly I was using my saw! I now understand that there are people out there sawing 5-10 cords with the same chain. I have always kept 3 chains in the saw box, that way I always had a sharp one. I am now down to one good chain. I have found stihl has quite a following, so I will stay with them,I guess.
Redd, for the last 10+ years I have tried to buy tools on the basis that it will be the last time I have to buy that type. Now I find that I don't even know how to use the saw, and may have shortened its life, how disheartening. While I may know 80%, I need to go find "The care, feeding, and correct use of a chainsaw". For the moment I am done asking chain saw questions, I don't know enough for them to be intelligent.
Thanks to all, Terry

I only take my chains to the saw shop if I've really smoked them on a rock or nail or the like - which I've done more in the last month that I've done in the last 10 years. My dealer has been in business my whole life (30+ years) and knows his sh_t. Having said that, regular grinding by the dealer dramatically shortens the life of the chain. If you really want to save money, if your chains are garden variety dull (no rocks, nails or hard groundings) learn to hand file your chains. Chains last me years. Get a file guide or whatever you have to do. Trust me, trust yourself: you can learn to file your chains.

B_R,
My dealer has been around as long as I have been alive (60) I know the brothers it is named after finally sold out in the early 60's. I am not sure the senior tech does the sharpening, I think it is the kid that sweeps. I did not say anything, Mom still rings in my ears,If you don't have anything nice.... But I think the last time they sharpened them one of my new ones ended up with nothing left, but I could be wrong.
So OK, you shamed me into getting a saw guide or something. I will learn to sharpen, I will learn to sharpen I will learn to sharpen.....
Terry

I,m gonna try this picture thing.

Attachments

• WoodpicsforKen001.jpg
    WoodpicsforKen001.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 294
Well, I guess that worked.

Attachments

• Wood spring '09 008.jpg
    Wood spring '09 008.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 265
Status