Question on stove pipe and thimble arrangement for Jotul F 500 Oslo.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halligan

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2012
Southeastern Massachusetts
As some of you may know from my previous thread I'm leaning toward a Jotul F 500. I will exhausting it through my wall and up the exterior of my house with approximately 22' feet of Air Jet 2100* triple wall pipe. The Jotul has a reversable flue outlet and my wife prefers not to have any verticle pipe visible in the house. Will there be any negative effects if the flue outlet and the wall thimble are level with each other so the whole verticle run of pipe is on the outside of the house. Also, if anyone has a similar setup is there a rear clearence penalty this way vs. having a few feet of vertical stovepipe in the house then a 90* to the wall thimble?

Thanks

With a horizontal flue collar, double wall connector & a rear heat shield,
you can reduce you clearance to the wall behind the Oslo to 6"...

Thanks Daksy. Does anyone know if the horizontal flue arrangement negatively affects draft vs. a vertical flue with a few feet of pipe to a 90 then through the wall?

Running straight through the wall and up should be okay. Limits your next stove you buy.

Having that bit of vertical probably helps with start up draft. Plus some heat radiates from the pipe, even double wall.

I have often wondered about the reversable collars. To me coming off the back to a T straight up shouldnt be so drastically different then vertical off the stove. We are talking a few more inches of horizonal run.

Id go with flexabilty, traditional setup of up to a 90 through the wall, but not everyone changes stoves like myself

I agree that start-up will be a challenge with no immediate vertical flu to pickup heat. You will need to heat the entire horizontal run in order to create draft of any significance.

I would say it will probably be fine.. but as noted above, best be sure that is THE stove you want to run forever.. odds are very much against the next stove fitting just right..

We ran into this two weeks ago with the people that bought our Homestead. Their hearth was built for a wood stove, but the existing thimble was 7 11/16" to high to go out the back, and 2 1/4" to low to go out the top and make the turn.. and I could not for the life of me convince them to just add a new thimble 5' up..

So.. they have the stove sitting on three layers of pavers and a 7/16th" shim he made, going straight out the back into the thimble, into a 6" x 10" flue, seems to draft OK, but I am pretty sure I have him convinced to at least add a liner soon...

BTW, they load standing up.. maybe not such a bad thing..lol

Thanks for the replies. I do understand that the horizontal flue will hinder any future replacement with a different stove. However, that's is an issue that hoperfully won't be dealt with until many years from now. I'm more concerned with draft and rear clearence.

The manual gives you clearances.

No, the start-up draft is not a problem for this stove--at all, if you know how to start a fire. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.