question on USSC 5510

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

urkiddin

Dec 3, 2009
Southwest Vt.
i saw in another thread that you can control the pellet feed rate on a USSC 5510.if you lower the setting r u changing the time between the auger running or the amount of time it runs?i've played with mine and haven't seen much difference.

i've been playing with this thing.think i got it figured out.now on to the next challenge.how to get the pellets to go into the hopper by themselves

I think that it's the per hr. amount of pellets.
Don't you just love it when you go to clean the stove and you vacuum about a pound of unburnt pellets from
the front of the pot.
I still haven't found a way way to stop it yet.

ke5hde said:
I think that it's the per hr. amount of pellets.
Don't you just love it when you go to clean the stove and you vacuum about a pound of unburnt pellets from
the front of the pot.
I still haven't found a way way to stop it yet.

I had the same problems, One of the things that i did was changed the burn parameters. There are 4 different parameters you can control (low side lbs/hr, low side exhaust temp, high side lbs/hr, high side exhaust temp.) factory defaults are set to: my current settings are:
low side lbs/hr: 1.75 low side lbs/hr: 1.45
low side eg temp: 100 low side eg temp: 150
high side lbs/hr: 4.50 high side lbs/hr: 3.75
high side eg temp: 300 high side eg temp: 325
to access these parameters:
low side lbs/hr, hold down (aux down and hr down)
high side lbs/hr, hold down (aux up and hr up)
low side eg temp, hold down (aux down and draft fan down)
high side eg temp, hold down (aux up and draft fan up)

I was advised by US Stove to not alter the temperature parameters: Proceed with caution, I am not responsible for any catastrophic event that might occur if you change these parameters.

These seem to work well for my conditions, 1050-1100ft in elevation.

I also drilled extra holes in my burn pot, ( primarily in the front of the burn pot, where the pellets were not completely burning) 4 rows of 7 staggered like a checkerboard 5/32" diameter (kept rows 1/4" apart starting 1/4" from bottom of burn pot.

Once the stove is started I open the door and stir the burn pot then push the pellets to the back of the burn pot, I only do this once. Usually can burn for 2 days before shutting down and emptying ashes out of the burn pot. Be advised that some ash and debris will fall out when you open the door, this could be a fire hazard.

My most recent adventure with the stove is burning straight field corn (I can buy locally for less than $145/ton), I actually like this option the best. Only drawback is the clinkers that occur, but I just take some long nose pliers and pull them out of the bottom of the burn pot (with the stove running) every 12 hours, its just like emptying the ashes out of the burn pot, but without having to shut down the stove. I then just throw the clinkers into these bottom of the ash pan, empty when full. In theory this should give me the longest time between shut down cycles.

Note the reason I can burn straight corn is because i drilled out the burn pot. Corn needs more air for combustion.

I also have burned a 50/50 mix of corn and wood pellets and have excellent results, I actually believe this works best, but I am frugal so I am willing to fish out a clinker every 12 hours, in order to save a few dollars.

Good luck.

urkiddin said:
i've been playing with this thing.think i got it figured out.now on to the next challenge.how to get the pellets to go into the hopper by themselves

No problem here getting them in the hopper. Its getting them from the garage to the basement that gets me!!

gee7879 said:
ke5hde said:
high side lbs/hr, hold down
I am frugal so I am willing to fish out a clinker every 12 hours, in order to save a few dollars.

Good luck.

Heh,heh,heh. Anyone burning pellets / corn / or cordwood has got to be somewhat frugal to begin with.

bought a ton of Ligs. found the factory setting are fine with these.i've been burning them now for 2 days without hardly any ash .

Status
Not open for further replies.