Q&A Question on woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I read a lot of your material and q and a's before I recently installed a small woodstove in my home. I really listened to your advice on the importance of chimneys and drafting and boy does it make a difference. It is so easy to start and keep a fire going and I tell it is burning really clean. Anyways my manufacturer's specs say I can burn any solid fuels and mention 'presto' logs. Are these the same as duraflame logs for fireplaces. I noticed it is not generally recommended by the makers of duraflame logs. My woodstove has a draft control on the bottom so I know air is not a problem, and has firebrick on the bottom and sides and across the top to separate a small chamber for secondary combustion. And it seems hard to imagine they burn too hot as a few good hardwood logs turn into what seems to be an awfully hot bed of coals. Any advice you have would be appreciated

Answer:

Duraflames and most other decorative logs have wax in them and should not be used in a closed woodstove. Some "fake" logs are made without wax additives, and these would be OK to burn..however, these logs seem to hard to find - especially on the east coast. Best bet, and cheapest too, is to use good old wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.