question re burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

co370

Oct 11, 2009
NJ
i just installed a used earth stove 1003c. i am anxious to start burning.. there is no firebrick inside.. i just ordered the replacement brick that goes inside... what would happen if i started a fire before the brick was installed.?

co370 said:
i just installed a used earth stove 1003c. i am anxious to start burning.. there is no firebrick inside.. i just ordered the replacement brick that goes inside... what would happen if i started a fire before the brick was installed.?

Without the firebrick you run the risk of cracking the steel panels if they get too hot--at which point you could ruin the stove if the damage was extensive. Personally, I'd wait on the firebrick.......

NP

even if you don't crack the plates you could warp them so that the firebrick will not fit properly or will break everytime you accidentally chuck a piece of wood a little too hard and hit one. Bottom line is a short lived stove and one that is potentially unsafe.

Not sure why you had to order those bricks. Hardware stores should carry them. Yes, I too would wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.