Question re fireproof insulation and leaks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitch

Mar 6, 2010
S.E. Pennsylvania
I have a recently installed Harman pellet stove. When the stove was installed, the installers had to move over two outlet boxes to make room for the thimble. One is for power and the other is for a thermostat (for the future). After the stove was installed, the tile was installed. As a result of the way the tile was installed, I now have a gap between the thimble and one of the boxes. The opposite side of the thimble is the outside, so there is a fair amount of cold air blowing through the gap between the thimble and the junction box.

Here are a couple pictures of the thimble and the junction boxes. Any suggestions on what I could use to plug up that air leak? I am concerned about adding something that is flammable. I really don't want you guys posting about me in that way......

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 846
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 840
Hello

If the hole is larger than you could fill with a can of spray foam, then what I use is ROXUL comfort bat. You can cut it to any size and it is Fire Proof! >> http://www.roxul.com/residential/save+energy+with+comfortbatt

Below is a pic that may be similar to what you want to do.

There was no insulation in the wall here. So after I installed a GFCI and Thermostat I added the Roxul behind the outlets and in between the outlets. What a difference. No cold air coming in anymore!! See Green Roxul below.

PS. this is to keep a water pipe from freezing automatically!

Attachments

• AAPFphaseIV_054sc.jpg
    AAPFphaseIV_054sc.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 346
Thanks guys.

I called the company that I bought the stove from. The guy said there is a sleave that goes around the actual exhaust where it goes through the wall. As a result, he said I can use any type of insulation for that crack/leak - or even in the space/void where the thimble is. He said that the sleave will prevent the insulation from touching the actual exhaust. He also said that I should make sure that there is no paper on the insulation, just to be extra careful.

I would like to have some insulation in that void between the walls, just not sure how comfortable I feel about it.

Just shove some fiberglass insulation in that gap and you're done. I 'd remove the paper first. I've used fiberglass to fill in a gag between my old vermiculite "firebrick" insulation and the pellet chute. It's fireproof even at the highest flame level. It can't burn, only melt, but at a very high temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.