Question re Jotul Oslo Baffle Plate Furnace Cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

senorFrog

Aug 31, 2006
Inside the fire box of the Jotul Oslo near the top of the stove, there is a large beige baffle plate right above the secondary burn tubes. I think it's made of vermiculite. It had a bead of furnace cement which connected it's rear edge to a cast iron piece which the the top of the fire brick sliped in. The furnace cement has all broken off and chipped away. There is now about a 1/4 inch gap where the cement was.

Should I replace? Is this known Jotul issue? Should I be concerned? Thanks!

Hi Frog, that happened to me too. Over the course of the first burning season, the stove shedded a lot of that furnace cement. I'm not sure just what it is bonding though, because the plate above the secondary burn tubes seems to me to be removable. when I clean the stove-pipe / chimmney I slide that plate around to get at the dust. I too was concerned about the sections of that cement I found in the fire-box, but I never figured out where it was coming from. I will say that as far as I can tell, it hasn't effected ( or is it affected? those words always kill my grammar!) the stove's performance. Maybe someone else has more insight.

Good luck and happy burning
Chris

My hearthstones do the same thing (my personal ones) i wouldnt worry about it. Its going to need to be replaced at some point anyway. If it would make you feel better, stuff some rope gasket in the gap. The vermeculite shelf is there for two reasons. to help insulate the firebox (getting cleaner emmisions) and to divirt the smoke around to help give the stove time to burn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.