Question re: oil leaking from pellet stove auger shaft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WKB

Jul 25, 2013
Boston
Hi guys,

Question regarding oil leaking from the shaft of my auger motor. I have a Piazzetta Sveva.

Is it common, in general, in the off season to notice a small amount of oil (approx 1 mL) leaking from the auger shaft? I suppose not, but I'm unsure what gaskets are used in auger assemblies and perhaps they require regular motion to keep the oil from collecting at the bottom.

If this isn't normal, I wonder if anyone has encountered a similar problem and how they addressed it.

Kind regards . . .

Not good as most all the small gear motors I have taken apart are filled with grease. Could be a sign that the shaft bushing is worn. Never attempted to replace a small motor bushing. Could carefully take apart and change the grease taking note of assembly and numerous shim washers etc. If the shaft feels sloppy probably time to track down a new one.

If my Grandfather was of right mind he would make several jokes at the Italians expense. WW2 vet

Status
Not open for further replies.