Question re: seasoning dead standing bur oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was fortunate to get access to about 400 acres of land owned by my girlfriends family to cut some standing dead wood. Part of this land is a really amazing bur oak savannah - if you haven't seen that before check here - http://oaksavannas.org/ I'm going back this week and I'll try and get some pictures....it's a pretty cool area.

Anyways, yesterday I cut a truckload of standing dead bur oak and split it up. Most of the trees I chose were under a foot in diameter and lots of bark missing. Moisture meter readings from the splits of different trees ranged from 19% to 23%. No punk either which is amazing. I want to use this wood next winter and I'm not concerned with it being crazy dry, I just want it all under 20%. I threw a piece of the 19% barkless stuff into the stove last night and it burned great.

So...I chose to pile it in my woodshed instead of adding it to the stacks. I'm thinking the woodshed has good airflow and it should lose enough moisture over the next 8 months in the shed. What do you guys think...or should I have added it to the outside stacks?

Reactions: quads
Nice find! Cut away and smile while doing it.

I would put it right into the wood shed, no need to move it twice since its already preety dry.

You've hit the golden oak score. I love oak when its dry. I just refuse to wait the two years if I can help it.

nice to hear others think it's good to go right in the woodshed cuz i really didn't want to move it twice. being a relatively new wood burner i'm learning this lesson fast - handle each split as little as possible! i'll try and take some pics of the savannah this week and some shots of the splits.

pics from yesterday

Typical Bur Oak Savannah
IMG_4329.jpg

IMG_4333.jpg

On a bluff looking out to Georgian Bay/Lake Huron
IMG_4331.jpg

IMG_4343.jpg

Lots of this type of stuff around
IMG_4339.jpg

These were at 20% moisture
IMG_4340.jpg

I am a little surprised, I cut a fair amount of dead Burr Oak and a lot of it reads above my limits of my MM which I think is 40% or so, some is drier like yours but most of it still has a lot of moisture in it. The bottom picture of wood really looks like dry stuff.

That looks like a nice place to cut as you would not get many hangers. Some of the limbs look to be a mess but that is the price one has to pay for such good wood.

I am a little surprised, I cut a fair amount of dead Burr Oak and a lot of it reads above my limits of my MM which I think is 40% or so, some is drier like yours but most of it still has a lot of moisture in it. The bottom picture of wood really looks like dry stuff.

Yeah I really had no idea what I was going to find moisture wise when I split them and I was super happy to find them all so dry. I think that many of these trees are simply very old and they all get full sun and good wind from multiple directions. Either way I'm going back tomorrow!

Reactions: pen
You've seem to hit the jackpot. Keep going back as much as you can. I still kick myself for not returning for some great finds in the past!

The bottom picture of wood really looks like dry stuff.
Wow, jackpot! That stuff on the tailgate looks great. Another vote here for tossing it in the shed now. Looks like a pretty place in which to cut wood; That's always a plus. :)
I know you're not concerned if it isn't totally dry. It would be a hassle but I would separate that 23% wood and stack it on the back/bottom where it would have longer to dry. You don't have to put the meter on every piece; You should be able to tell how dry it is from the heft.

Wow, jackpot! That stuff on the tailgate looks great. Another vote here for tossing it in the shed now. Looks like a pretty place in which to cut wood; That's always a plus. :)
I know you're not concerned if it isn't totally dry. It would be a hassle but I would separate that 23% wood and stack it on the back/bottom where it would have longer to dry. You don't have to put the meter on every piece; You should be able to tell how dry it is from the heft.

Thanks, good advice and I'll bury the heavier pieces in the back of the shed or even outside in the regular stacks.

That stuff is definately ready for the shed. I cut two big white oaks down this winter during the very tiny bit of snow we got. They were both barkless and long dead (probably 15 to 20 years dead), split them up and they were put right in the basement for the stove. I'm still burning that wood as we speak. Very very dry, I love dry oak! (not as much as locust:p)

Reactions: Locust Post
Those last 2 pics look exactly like the Bur Oak & most of the White I cut each year.Great stuff.Very close to Shagbark Hickory in density when you find it dry like that its like coal. Really wears down the chains,once in a while I'll see a spark or two when cutting.Can be rough on the back too,I try to park the trailer or pickup within 20 feet if possible.;)

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.