Question regarding Breckwell P2000 thermostat setting and stove power levels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

latichever

Apr 14, 2006
I have a Breckwell P2000 insert with a thermostat. The stove has five power settings. I know this is not directly relatable to other stoves but my question is not platform-dependent--I think.

There are two possible ways to use the thermostat.

You set the desired temp and the stove turns off. It turns on again once the thermostat senses the room temp has fallen below the set temp.

Or you set the temp and the stove goes to lowest power/feed setting once the temp hits the target and goes up to the higher level/feed when temp is below set temp.

The manual says not to have either the high/off or the high/low modes be set so that the higher feed rate is more than three. In other words, don't have it go from four or five to either off or one.

I don't understand the reason. In the high/off mode, it's no different from manually turning off the stove when it's at 4 or 5 for a while and then restarting. Same for going from 4 or 5 to a lower setting manually.

Where's the problem?

I like a good mystery-I don't have the same stove but this is a good question.Just to be clear though...the thermostat is just an off/on switch controlled by the temperature and the real "brain" is in the stove itself-so apparently your stove from what I understand must give you the option to reach a certain level and then shut off completely or like you stated goes to the lowest level until heat is needed-thus when the "switch" of the thermostat closes.Ijust wanted to be clear on that because my own stove threw me for a loop when using the thermostat, the stove shut off for good when it got too warm but I didn't realize that if the stove doesn't call for heat for a certain period of time that it will shut down.usually it just goes to the lowest level-ok I'm reading from the manual-says"if the temp remains stable and the thermostat does not call for heat for at least 45 minutes,the stove will shut down.When the thermostat calls for heat again,the stove will start an ignition cycle.Once the ignition cycle is completed,the stove will increase its feed rate to match the heat setting selected" Also says "when in themostat mode,you should not operate the manual control or play with the temp setting"
In my mind,this seems like a pretty good way to operate because,if for some reason,say in the spring when the temperature can remain stable once the house gets warmed up,why have it burning fuel on low mode-it'd be a waste.Any thoughts...pete

on the breakwell five is not to be used for more then 1or 2 hours .or you may over fire the stove and cause damge to it .its in the breckwell manual .

kinglew

The Breckwell and enviro use the same board maker and have the same options

I do not like the ON AND OFF MODE for the stove will fault out if you dont clean your stove every 2 days or soo.
the stove will shut off when the thermostat is not calling for heat. then relight when it does.
this has a few issues with me.

1) Every shut down cycle puts a small crust of clinker in the burn pot. After 3 or more cycles this crust can block the Air and the hole to the ignitor and your stove WILL NOT relight and fault out.
All you need to do is clean the burn pot and you are good for a few more cycles.

2) with all the start up you use more power 400 watts and use up your ignitor faster that someone that leaves the stove on for days at a time. or starts up once a day.

Ok High low mode
This mode is how most pellet stoves work and is the best option (for me)
you run your stove on High to Mediam feed rate. your stove will run HOT when the thermostat is not calling for heat.
then when the thermostat is NOT calling for heat the stove will go into Low mode and the fan will go to low.

You always have a fire and the stove is less likely for fault out because as long as you have a fire less clinkers will build up with a decent pellet.

They may have change it but Breckwell had their board programed that if you are using it in Hi low Stat mode the highest the stove would feed is the 3 or 4 feed rate setting. so the stove would not over heat.

Thanks for your replies.

I would not run the stove on 5 with the thermostat. I'm just wondering why I can't run it 4 with the thermostat. I don't see what the difference is between going from 4 to 1 or off manually versus having the thermostat doing it. If I follow the logic of the instructions, you shouldn't turn off the stove manually if you are at the 4 setting or go to 1.

As for clinikers, in the on/off mode, my vacuum sits right next to the stove and I do at least a cursory cleaning almost every day.

Because they feel if you are running Manualy you will get hot and turn the stove down.

with a thermostat you will never turn it down and the stove would run HOT most of the time.
Dont ask me it is the thinking of Breckwell not me.

But with the thermostat the stove turns off. They're saying don't have the thermostat step the power level down more than two levels--either to turn it off or to go to a lower heat setting. From 4 to 1 or 4 to off.

Maybe I'll contact Breckwell and report back here.

It is because the breckwells convection fan sppeds are tied into the feed rate setting (i.e. the fan automaticallly runs at higher speeds at the higher burn settings, lower speeds at lower burn settings).

If you're burning at a 4, the fan is running at a high "4" speed to unload all the heat off the stove so it doesn't get too hot. As soon as you switch to a "1" the fan speed also switches to a "1".

This will cause the stove to get "hot" because there will be a period of time in which the stove continues to generate the same amount of heat as it does on the "4" setting, but now the fan is running at the slower "1" setting and not offloading mear as much heat = your stove gets too hot = premature wear on the fans, etc. Going from a "3" or a "2" to a "1" still gives this fluctuation but not as big a one.

I have a Breckwell P23. It does say not to go from a 4 to a 1 unless you manyally press the "High fan" switch to assist with cooling it down. Press the high fan button again and it resumes to the fan speed you're set it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.