Question regarding burn cycle...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
At night, I load up the insert as much as possible- I try to pack it tight, fitting about (8) 5-7 inch splits in. Then I run it wide open, full damper, full draft, for about 20 mins to char the wood and get it started. Then, I shut it down completely- fully damped, draft closed. I find that it burns real low for about an hour, then it takes off on its own. About 2-3 hours in, the temps are soaring and the load only lasts about 5-6 hours to coals and 300 degree temp. Any suggestions about this mid-burn spike? The doors have about 1- 1/2 square inches of gap spread out that I can't close, i.e. not fittting completely airtight. Is that the problem? Thanks for your input.

I also notice that near tthe front, where the double doors come together, it looks like the flames are being fanned. I just took some bits of fiberglass insulation and stiffed them around these areas mentioned above- I immediately saw the flames diminish! Perhaps I've answered my own question... :red: Input still greatly appreciated, though!

Are the doors warped? Or maybe you just need to replace the gasket with a new or possibly larger size.

When you say "fully damped" do you mean a flue damper or are you just talking about the burn rate air settings?

jtp10181 said:
Are the doors warped? Or maybe you just need to replace the gasket with a new or possibly larger size.

When you say "fully damped" do you mean a flue damper or are you just talking about the burn rate air settings?
Nothing is warped, and I replaced all gaskets- doors and glass, last month. The damper is located on the top, exiting to the stack. It is an older stove, so maybe I just can't expect too much regularity in the cycle or longer burn times?

So you have a flue damper and you close it all the way? And it still goes? Must have one hell of a draft or one really leaky damper.

If the doors are supposed to be air tight something is not right. Maybe the gasket used was not the correct size, or the doors are slightly warped and you just don't know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.