Question regarding convection deck/blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Northof49th

Aug 11, 2023
Alberta
I'm in the process of picking out my first wood stove. I'm most likely either going with a BK Sirocco 30 or the Chinook 30. Convection deck comes standard on both, and I will definitely get a blower as well. How effective is the convection deck without the blower on? Does air still "blow" out of it? (I guess I'm not quite sure how the physics/chemistry work with it..lol) I notice people use those heat-generated fans on top of the stove, which I thought s a fine idea as well, especially if one didn't want the noise of the blower on.

Yes, they work. A convection deck is an effective way to capture more heat in the blower airstream by routing it over the stove top. The air blows upward across the back of the stove and then makes a 90º turn over the top of the stove to blow it forward over the stove top.