Question regarding electrical for ZC Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warrior327

Nov 25, 2012
I have a Flame Monaco that was installed earlier this year. During the tear out of the wall I have to reframe the top of the wall above where the fireplace was installed. The issue I ran into was I had to run the romex 12 gauge eletrical lne through the studs above the Zero Clearance Fireplace. This area according the manual allows combustibles like wood framing to be able to finish out the wall. I called the manufacturer and the guy was like well as long as it is not directly above the stove then it should be okay. At the time I went with his answer and ran it through the 2x4's above the Zero Clearance Fireplace. I do have access and can remove the romex wire if needed, but I was checking with other fellow burners to see what there thoughts are on this.

thanks

If wood is allowed in this area, then the Romex cable will be no problem at all.

The Romex cable runs through 2 or 3 studs above the fireplace and then runs down and is hard wired into the fireplace. I just curious on what others thoughts were of having a Romex 12-2 cable that close. Didn't know if the sheathing would melt over time or not, and cause issues. I would of preferred to not run the Romex cable above and across the width of the fireplace, but the way the old ZC fireplace was set up I had to run the Romex Cable this way in order for it to run the fans.

The Romex cable runs through 2 or 3 studs above the fireplace and then runs down and is hard wired into the fireplace. I just curious on what others thoughts were of having a Romex 12-2 cable that close. Didn't know if the sheathing would melt over time or not, and cause issues.
No, It will not as long as it's within the manufacturers guidlines of clearance to combustibles and assume it is. It doesn't matter if it's wood, foam, Romex, or oil soaked rags. The last one was just for emphasis, probably not a good idea!;lol

Yes it is within the manufactures guidelines, actually i was able to spare an extra 4 inches on the sides of the fireplace so I gave it more room than it needed. I have not had much experience burning with a new high efficiency fireplace. I was a little alarmed the other night when I was burning and the wall above the fireplace got warm, but not so warm that you could not keep your hand on the wall, which in return alarmed and prompted me to ask the question about having the Romex Cable running across the front. I did figure that it is a pretty common thing for the walls above the fireplace to get warm over time while burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.