Question regarding hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jhayes77

Apr 29, 2019
Tallahassee, FL
Hi all, first time here. I recently had my brick fireplace covered with stone but need a solution for my hearth; the issue is the fireplace is more decorative/made for Duraflame logs so it is not the standard fireplace; the maximum thickness for the hearth stone is 3/4" and I would ideally want one piece of stone since the look of tile isn't for me. The dimensions are 6'x2'. Does anyone have any suggestions? (Picture pending upload)

Hi all, first time here. I recently had my brick fireplace covered with stone but need a solution for my hearth; the issue is the fireplace is more decorative/made for Duraflame logs so it is not the standard fireplace; the maximum thickness for the hearth stone is 3/4" and I would ideally want one piece of stone since the look of tile isn't for me. The dimensions are 6'x2'. Does anyone have any suggestions? (Picture pending upload)
Is it a prefab fireplace or is it a full masonry structure

Colored polished concrete would sure look nice.

I was told that the concrete would crack if it wasn't an inch thick. Hmm...
If it is really a full masonry fireplace that hearth extension needs to be on a slab to meet code. If it is then a thin layer of high strength concrete on to will be fine. If it is not on a slab it will crack.

Is there a reason why it cant be an inch thick?

Do you have a before pic?

It does look like a ZC with refractory bricks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190501-211906_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190501-211906_Chrome.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 158
It does look like a ZC with refractory bricks.
Yes that is my thought. And most have air vents around them which can't be restricted. It looks like they may have been in this case which would make the unit unsafe.

On the other hand I may be completely wrong it could be perfectly fine but I felt the need to check

Reactions: SpaceBus