Question regarding single wall pipe temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailrated

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2009
Maryland
I have been using a magnetic temp gauge for both the stove top and single wall pipe. I only have single wall until it goes through the ceiling into the attic. From there on out its SS class A. I conduct my burn according to the temp gauges. I recently got a Infrared temp gun and have been playing with that. The IFR gun and temp gauges are fairly accurate within one another when temps basically stabilize. The magnetic ones tend to take a while to register the rise in temps.

What I recently noticed is when my magnetic gauge reads @350* 18'' up on pipe, the infrared reads well over 600* sometimes hotter at the collar where the pipe leaves the stove. Now I know it will be naturally hotter at this location and my question is, is it to hot? My pipe went from black to grey about 18 inches up a while ago, just wondering if I'm burning to hot. I always thought temp gauge should be 18" up and temps should be 350-450* for good clean burning. Or do these temps depend on stove and pipe size?

If the pipe is changing to grey then I'd say things are too hot. I'd focus more on the stove top and consider 750 to be a good redline for when you really need heat.

You happen to be using rutland thermometers? I have found that they read much lower than my condar on the single wall pipe. However, I've found that the condar reads a bit low also on the stove pipe.

pen

I have a Condar Inferno Stove Top Gauge and I have a Condar Chimguard flue Thermometer that I bought before the holidays. I also have a Imperial flue Thermometer that came with my Osburn 2000.

Both Imperial and Condar Chimguard flue thermometers are dead on. Imperial is placed at 18 inches on flue and Chimguard is placed at 12 inches. One might think that my 3 gauges are overkill but I like my gadgets especially when it comes to monitoring my stove temps.

Trailrated, even though I am new to wood stovin, I would be concerned if any thing on my stove or flue change colors while burning!
Be careful my friend...

Fredo

Fredo said:
I have a Condar Inferno Stove Top Gauge and I have a Condar Chimguard flue Thermometer that I bought before the holidays. I also have a Imperial flue Thermometer that came with my Osburn 2000.

Both Imperial and Condar Chimguard flue thermometers are dead on. Imperial is placed at 18 inches on flue and Chimguard is placed at 12 inches. One might think that my 3 gauges are overkill but I like my gadgets especially when it comes to monitoring my stove temps.

Trailrated, even though I am new to wood stovin, I would be concerned if any thing on my stove or flue change colors while burning!
Be careful my friend...

Fredo

Fredo I have 4 magnetic thermometers, The Condar stovetop, 2 Condar Chimgards at 18" on 2 sides of the pipe and one Rutland 6" from the thimble.. I also have a Raytek IR gun to verify everything and used for other checks too.. One of the Chimgard's I bought for 25 cents at a yardsale and couldn't pass it up :)

Ray

hmm, really surprised that chimgard reads so much lower than the IR.

pen

Your killing me Ray! Man, I gotta go online at Amazon and order a few more thermometers just to keep up with you! Thank God Amazon offers free shipping! Lol :lol:

Ray, I asked Backwoods/Dennis a question about my Osburn 2000 manufacturers Operating Temps. He gave me some great advice as usual but I forgot to mention an important question. So, since we are blogging back and forth I want to ask you the question please.
My Osburn flue temps should not exceed 475 degrees according to manufacturer and I never exceed those temps. As a matter of fact, I think that my chimney would start to glow at those temps. My Flue temps range between 300 to 375 when burning and my Stove Top gauge reads between 400 and 500 degrees.
Though I am following Osburns flue temp operating recommendations, am I over firing my stove when temps on top of stove exceed 475 degrees? Osburn doesn't mention anything about stove top temps so I should be operating my stove temps correctly, yes?

Hope I make sense?

Thanks
Fredo

Well I have no idea what would be to hot for my pipe. Don't Know the brand, purchased it from my local hearth store. Maybe I need to get some other gauges that are more accurate. I always try and stay between 350-400 but sometimes I wait to long and she'll get away from me a bit. I guess what is throwing me off is the huge temp difference from the collar and 18 inches up.

trailrated said:
Well I have no idea what would be to hot for my pipe. Don't Know the brand, purchased it from my local hearth store. Maybe I need to get some other gauges that are more accurate. I always try and stay between 350-400 but sometimes I wait to long and she'll get away from me a bit. I guess what is throwing me off is the huge temp difference from the collar and 18 inches up.
I had to read your first post 3 times to get what you are saying.
600 at the flue collar and 350 18" up is ok.

Your first post made it sound like the IR reading was at 600 18" up.

What I recently noticed is when my magnetic gauge reads @350* 18’’ up on pipe, the infrared reads well over 600* sometimes hotter at the collar where the pipe leaves the stove.

Fredo said:
Your killing me Ray! Man, I gotta go online at Amazon and order a few more thermometers just to keep up with you! Thank God Amazon offers free shipping! Lol :lol:

Ray, I asked Backwoods/Dennis a question about my Osburn 2000 manufacturers Operating Temps. He gave me some great advice as usual but I forgot to mention an important question. So, since we are blogging back and forth I want to ask you the question please.
My Osburn flue temps should not exceed 475 degrees according to manufacturer and I never exceed those temps. As a matter of fact, I think that my chimney would start to glow at those temps. My Flue temps range between 300 to 375 when burning and my Stove Top gauge reads between 400 and 500 degrees.
Though I am following Osburns flue temp operating recommendations, am I over firing my stove when temps on top of stove exceed 475 degrees? Osburn doesn't mention anything about stove top temps so I should be operating my stove temps correctly, yes?

Hope I make sense?

Thanks
Fredo

You can run that stovetop at 650 degrees 24/7 no problem Fredo.. I also think temperature spikes from 700-750 shouldn't hurt it either.. I normally run my stovetop around 650 on the high end.. Sometimes my flue surface temp will hit 500 or so 18" from the stove but I try to restrict it to 450 and your chimney will not glow.. The reason to run your flue hot enough is to prevent your flue gasses from condensing aka creosote this is why people insulate their liners...

Ray

Ray

Had my stovepipe at 725 checked with a IR testor and it wont turn gray, you either had it way hotter than that or your temp gauges and IR testor both wacked.

Ray,

Thanks for that bit of info and I can finally rest knowing that I am not over firing my stove! I have learned so much from my hearth brothers and I really appreciate all your help and patience with so many of my concerns and questions...

My next adventure with my stove is taking apart my single lined stack from my stove and look up! I want to make sure that creosote is not forming in my chimney.

Thanks
Fredo

Fredo said:
Ray,

Thanks for that bit of info and I can finally rest knowing that I am not over firing my stove! I have learned so much from my hearth brothers and I really appreciate all your help and patience with so many of my concerns and questions...

My next adventure with my stove is taking apart my single lined stack from my stove and look up! I want to make sure that creosote is not forming in my chimney.

Thanks
Fredo

Tap on your pipe in diff places before you clean it...then again after.
It might not be dirty at all..then not much diff.
Anyways just another tool to hep you be in touch with your stove and flue..lol.

Hotcoals

Are you serious about tapping on my stove stack? Shouldn't I physically/visually inspect my stack?

Fredo

raybonz said:
Fredo said:

Hope I make sense?

Thanks
Fredo

You can run that stovetop at 650 degrees 24/7 no problem Fredo.. I also think temperature spikes from 700-750 shouldn't hurt it either.. I normally run my stovetop around 650 on the high end.. Sometimes my flue surface temp will hit 500 or so 18" from the stove but I try to restrict it to 450 and your chimney will not glow.. The reason to run your flue hot enough is to prevent your flue gasses from condensing aka creosote this is why people insulate their liners...

Ray

Here you go Swidishchef

Status
Not open for further replies.