Question regarding wires above the fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehavs

Sep 5, 2013
Hello all, New member here and a new owner of an Elite 36 ZC fireplace. Just had it installed a few weeks ago and am in the process of getting the hole in my wall patched up but had a question regarding the exisiting wires that were put in place above the mantle when the house was built.

Currently they are still there, I had an electrician come in and cap the wires that were running into the outlet and he left the cable tv wire up there as is. They are situated above the header and are about 3 to 4 inches away from the chimney flue.

Is this a wise move? Should I have them removed all together before sealing that wall up? Just curious as to what should be the best method here as I want to get this job done sooner rather than later but not at the cost of safety.

I hear that the unit I got puts off a lot of heat and am worried that keeping those wires there "live" might not be a great idea.

Thanks for whatever output you may give.

Reactions: webby3650
As long as they are 2" away from that pipe there will be no problems. FPX uses dura-vent pipe that is made just for the FPX, it only needs 2" from anything combustible, if it is then there is no reason for concern.
That is a great unit, enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.