Question that the Harman operation thread doesn't address

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2014
Mendon, MA
So its -2 degrees outside and my 52i is cranking in my 2700sf home. I am lucky enough that my open floor plan allows the heat to easily meander through the entire house.

Is stove temp 7 and blower cranked to high with a feed rate of 4 the absolute most heat this baby will throw? Will room temp cranked all the way up with the same feed rate throw more heat or is that equivalent to stove temp setting of 7?

I am finding in this cold I had to go off room temp and manually crank up the stove 24/7 to maintain an OK temperature in the house.

I also measured an increase in output air temperature as feed rate is increased. I didn't think I should go much past a level of 4 though.

I have only had the stove for about 2 weeks, so total newb here.

Turn your feed rate up to 6. If you start to see unburned pellets fall into the ash pan back the feed rate off a little bit at a time until unburned pellets stop falling into the ash pan and you have ash starting about one inch away from the lip of the burn pot.

Then put it in Room Temp mode and set the desired temperature on the dial.

So its -2 degrees outside and my 52i is cranking in my 2700sf home. I am lucky enough that my open floor plan allows the heat to easily meander through the entire house.

Is stove temp 7 and blower cranked to high with a feed rate of 4 the absolute most heat this baby will throw? Will room temp cranked all the way up with the same feed rate throw more heat or is that equivalent to stove temp setting of 7?

I am finding in this cold I had to go off room temp and manually crank up the stove 24/7 to maintain an OK temperature in the house.

I also measured an increase in output air temperature as feed rate is increased. I didn't think I should go much past a level of 4 though.

I have only had the stove for about 2 weeks, so total newb here.

Your square footage is beyond the reserve capacity of that insert. It's a beautiful insert and they do pump out heat but there is a realistic limit to any stoves capacity. I'd expect that insert to work great in a sq ft setting between 1900 and 2300, assuming the house is tight. Then it would have some reserve power when it hits the sub 0 conditions outside. I suggest rather than wringing out every last bit of potential heat from the stove, to turn up the central heat if you are a bit uncomfortable. It won't run much. When it gets back up in the 20's and 30's again , then expect the insert to be able to cope and your central heat probably won't even come on.

That's how I run my coal stove and have for more than 30 years. I actually turn the central heat up not down when the stove is going, as the stove generally runs the room the thermostat is in above that setting anyway. But ya, the heat may come on in the early morning hours before I do my morning tending of the stove, no big deal.

Last edited:
I figured that was the case. It has been nice not using one drop off oil for 2 weeks! The temps in the house (on both floors! ) are actually about where they were when we were being cheap with the oil only, maybe a tad higher! So this stove had been very impressive indeed!

Oh and yeah in the 20 or 30 degree temps the entire house is nice and toasty while keeping the oil off for all intents and purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.