Question Whats the avg cost of Electric use to operate Pellet stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeP

Aug 13, 2011
Upstate NY
Mine is Englander 2 auger plus the 2 Blowers, it is drawing alot. Its My 1st year using Stove, are they cost effective. Just never thought about the extra cost each month during the full use season.
What have you guys seen in years past?

JoeP said:
Mine is Englander 2 auger plus the 2 Blowers, it is drawing alot. Its My 1st year using Stove, are they cost effective. Just never thought about the extra cost each month during the full use season.
What have you guys seen in years past?

Mine runs between 80 watts minimum with conveftion blwer on low to 130 watts maximum with convection on high. Lets say avg is 100 watts per hour for 24 hours that 2400 watts per day or roughly .30 cents a day.

I know the Harman folks say that the P series of pellet stoves uses the equivalent of two 100 watt light bulbs. I have not checked mine yet but I plan to soon. I DO know this though, my pellet stove uses MUCH LESS electric than my propane forced air furnace(York Diamond Series) My electric bill dropped about 15.00 a month when I switched from furnace to pellet stove. Hope that helps a little.

Do a search under Kill a Watt meters. There is lots of good reading there. Most stoves use less than $100 a season in electric. With some being much less than that. My stove is about $15 a month (give or take) or $75 for 5 months of use.

All depends on what your stove draws (what settings you are running/high fan =higher voltage) and what your electric rates are. A Kill-a-Watt meter can be had at HD or Lowes pretty cheap.

most pellet stoves using AC motors will run in the 200-400 watts range , DC units like the thelin units are better in that i believe though i do not have the experience with them to figure that out (i will soon i hope)

one thing that should be noted in most every case usage doubles during startup with auto ignite units as most igniters run 300 to as much as 525 watts when engaged, so a stove operating in an "on off" mode with several starts daily will use more than a unit runnning "high/low" or just running with no stat.

current im teasing about a "TEG" operated pellet stove which will hopefully use teg technology to resupply a battery which will run the stove . if im successful the stove will literally supply its own power scrubbing heat from the exhaust to power tegs which will keep the battery charged as it runs the stove. its just a thought at this time but if i can ppull it off i'll have a self powered pellet stove which would work even during a power outage as long as fuel is poured into it

stoveguy2esw said:
current im teasing about a "TEG" operated pellet stove which will hopefully use teg technology to resupply a battery which will run the stove . if im successful the stove will literally supply its own power scrubbing heat from the exhaust to power tegs which will keep the battery charged as it runs the stove. its just a thought at this time but if i can ppull it off i'll have a self powered pellet stove which would work even during a power outage as long as fuel is poured into it
Had to look that up. Hope it works. How would that integrate with the pipe?

Thanks guys all great info. I thought about .50 to .75 cents aday in electric use max still less than furnace.The self energy supply would be intresting it will be a plus side when power fails. Keep us updated.

stoveguy2esw said:
most pellet stoves using AC motors will run in the 200-400 watts range , DC units like the thelin units are better in that i believe though i do not have the experience with them to figure that out (i will soon i hope)

one thing that should be noted in most every case usage doubles during startup with auto ignite units as most igniters run 300 to as much as 525 watts when engaged, so a stove operating in an "on off" mode with several starts daily will use more than a unit runnning "high/low" or just running with no stat.

brilliant!

i only knew of tecs (cooling) from having done laser shows and built a projector from parts.
a lot of the solid state laser modules cool themselves w/ tecs

whit said:
stoveguy2esw said:
Had to look that up. Hope it works. How would that integrate with the pipe?

well what im thinking is this, they work at their best when you have a larger temp difference between the "hot side" and the "cold side, begreen dropped me a link where i found this out. so what im looking at is adapting the teg to the exhaust chamber between the heat exchanger and the exhaust blower, now to cool it im hoping i can divert the OAK air across the "cold" side opn its way in. so we can use waste heat from the exhaust to recharge the battery at the same rate we use it to run

Very little here, the Europa 75 is said to cost less than $30 per season, it's said to "consumes the same electricity as a 25 watt light bulb"

Mike,

Boy am I interested in this. I would like to know how your progress foes and how it can be retrofitted into existing stoves.

Englander. The Hybrid stove company. How cool is that.

Indy

Indy3 said:
Mike,

Boy am I interested in this. I would like to know how your progress foes and how it can be retrofitted into existing stoves.

Englander. The Hybrid stove company. How cool is that.

Indy

its little more than a concept at this point this time of year i have absolutely zero time to "play" will be loking hard at it come the spring when i have time to play with it. im as excited as ive been over a concept with this though

My Enviro Mini pulls less juice than my oil fired furnace, I save around 20 bucks a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.