Question with maybe an obvious answer...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
I have a Harman P61A freestanding stove that was installed into an existing fireplace. It is vented through the chimney. I know I have to get up to the top and take a brush to the vent pipe to clean it out. My question is, would I do the same thing for the vent pipe that is behind my ash pan? When I take the ash pan out, there is the combustion cover, fan and the flue that leads to the vent pipe. I assume it's safe to take brush and clean the insides of the the flue? I also know the ESP is in there and I need to be careful not to damage that as well...so am I correct in my assumptions? Thanks!

Bigjim13 said:
I have a Harman P61A freestanding stove that was installed into an existing fireplace. It is vented through the chimney. I know I have to get up to the top and take a brush to the vent pipe to clean it out. My question is, would I do the same thing for the vent pipe that is behind my ash pan? When I take the ash pan out, there is the combustion cover, fan and the flue that leads to the vent pipe. I assume it's safe to take brush and clean the insides of the the flue? I also know the ESP is in there and I need to be careful not to damage that as well...so am I correct in my assumptions? Thanks!

The best way to clean that out is to remove the combustion blower so you dont damage it
not your stove but the same idea
7429_161099178163_61927828163_2741682_5780850_n.jpg

yes, beware of the ESP probe......I'd remove it (one screw), then clean the square opening left with a brush and vacuum.....also, good idea to disconnect the pipe and clean it too......and no, its not necessary, ON THIS MODEL, to remove the cumbustion fan....its offset and out of the way....

Lousyweather said:
yes, beware of the ESP probe......I'd remove it (one screw), then clean the square opening left with a brush and vacuum.....also, good idea to disconnect the pipe and clean it too......and no, its not necessary, ON THIS MODEL, to remove the cumbustion fan....its offset and out of the way....

That's what I thought, I got a little freaked when the other post said to remove the combustion blower-wasn't sure that was something I wanted to mess with. Would something like this work to clean that pipe?

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimn...9d60fc395462eb1e.e3eSc3iSaN0Le34Pa38Ta38Rah10

Lousyweather said:
then how do u clean the crust and ash off the empeller?
And it would be good to blow the house dust and pet hair off the cooling fan on the motor.

hearthtools said:
Lousyweather said:
And it would be good to blow the house dust and pet hair off the cooling fan on the motor.

clean the goobers off the impeller with a brush and putty knife. The impeller needs to be removed on the P61 to remove the combustion fan, and its not so easily done (the set screw that holds it in place alaws seems forzen). Oftentimes, the impeller is damaged and needs to be replaced when this is done, so we reccommend leaving it on.....its quite accessable from the front of the stove once the impeller cover is removed. The back of the fan is accessable as well, and there will be dust and pet hair on it, but again, just remove the black plastic fan guard off of it, and you can get right in there to clean it....thats the beauty of the P61.....most parts are VERY accessable without disassembling the unit.

Lousyweather said:
hearthtools said:
Lousyweather said:

clean the goobers off the impeller with a brush and putty knife. The impeller needs to be removed on the P61 to remove the combustion fan, and its not so easily done (the set screw that holds it in place alaws seems forzen). Oftentimes, the impeller is damaged and needs to be replaced when this is done, so we reccommend leaving it on.....its quite accessable from the front of the stove once the impeller cover is removed. The back of the fan is accessable as well, and there will be dust and pet hair on it, but again, just remove the black plastic fan guard off of it, and you can get right in there to clean it....thats the beauty of the P61.....most parts are VERY accessable without disassembling the unit.

Forgive me for sounding like a newb, but the impeller? Is that the fan that I see when I remove the ash pan and the combustion fan cover?

As for the back, I take both side panels off once a month during the winter months and give a quick vaccum to pick up as much dust and dog hair as I can. Also just cleaned the fine deflector for the first time about a month ago. Never would have done that without this site!

Status
Not open for further replies.