Question???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sace1515

Sep 14, 2008
upper michigan
I am constructing a new block chimney on the outside of a house and I need to know what the minimum that the stove pipe can stick into the thimble. I am going through a 8" block wall and then into the chimney which is 3" away and I have the pipe in the thimble about 1" is that enough???

Well, this question just brings up a whole lot of other questions. What's the appliance you're going to vent out through the block chimney? Are you going to install a liner in the block chimney? The fundamental answer to your question is that the stovepipe should extend just to, but not beyond, the interior surface of the wall it's penetrating (the end of the thimble). But there's a lot more than just that invlolved in building a safe and approved installation from the ground up. Rick

the appliance is going to be a woodstove and there is a clay flue lining the block. I have the thimble penetrating the flue about a 1/8th inch and then the stove pipe is only long enough to penetrate the thimble 1" do to it just being long enough to make it through the block wall in the basement

With the paucity of information about your installation I have at my disposal, let me simply quote you some "scripture" out of NFPA 211 (2006), and you can ponder these things.

Chapter 12 Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances

12.4.5 Connection to Masonry Fireplaces

12.4.5.1 A natural draft solid fuel-burning appliance such as a stove or insert shall be permitted to use a masonry fireplace flue where the following conditions are met:

(1) There is a connector that extends from the appliance to the flue liner.
(5) The cross-sectional area of the flue of a chimney with one or more walls exposed to the outside below the roofline is no more than two times the cross-sectional area of the appliance flue collar.

There are other requirements, as well, of course. As to your original question, I read the standard to mean you need a longer piece of connector pipe...one that will go in the length of your thimble. I could be wrong, I'm just a geeky woodburner. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.