Questions about a coal furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caedus

Dec 15, 2016
Kentucky
A few years back i purchased this house. It had an old coal furnace still has the chimney. I plan on getting it inspected. But before i spend the money im wondering if im even able to use it for a wood stove. Mainly a drum stove. Any help would be welcome advice grumbling what ever it may be.

But before i spend the money im wondering if im even able to use it for a wood stove. Mainly a drum stove. Any help would be welcome advice grumbling what ever it may be.
You mean you want to run a wood stove through the chimney that the old coal furnace was vented through? It is certainly possible but coal is hard on liners even clay. So you will need to have it inspected for sure. As far as the stove I would strongly recommend getting a real stove not a barrel with a door on it. There are quite a few budget friendly new stoves available and lots of used ones as well. You are talking about putting a fire in your house I would recommend doing that is something designed to contain that fire not to hold goods of what ever sort the barrel held.

You mean you want to run a wood stove through the chimney that the old coal furnace was vented through? It is certainly possible but coal is hard on liners even clay. So you will need to have it inspected for sure. As far as the stove I would strongly recommend getting a real stove not a barrel with a door on it. There are quite a few budget friendly new stoves available and lots of used ones as well. You are talking about putting a fire in your house I would recommend doing that is something designed to contain that fire not to hold goods of what ever sort the barrel held.
Right on and i will look into other stoves that was just the cheap option for me. The company i work for refurbishs drums.

Status
Not open for further replies.