Questions about Buck 74 & 85

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill C

Nov 27, 2014
North Central Arkansas
These are two stoves I'm considering . I need to know the following info:

Is Buck stoves durable, do they radiate heat without the use of blower well. ( no power situations).
Are they easy drafting stoves or are they picky.

I will be heating approximately 1800 - 2000 Sqft. On a 24/7 when weather is cold.

Wish someone would chime in I have a little buck stove and its durable so far lived here for two years and it was here when I moved in I use it quit a bit I'm looking into the buck 74 also

Surprised no one commented on this. Buck stoves definitely are durable. There are some 20 yr old Bucks that folks still comment on here and use them daily. If they have a decent chimney they should draft fine.

I have a buck 74 and buck 81. The buck 74 gets used 24/7 because it's on the lowest level of a multi-level house. I usually run it with the fan on to get the most output for circulation through the whole house. It's heating 9 rooms and a 3 story foyer from the the lowest level...rooms are open to a central stairway. The buck 81 is used for additional heat when temps outside drop. I run this one without the fan sometimes and does very nicely...of course both can be run that way. We've had the 81 for 4 years and the 74 for 3 yrs. Both stoves are very easy to run, no draft problems and they are not picky...no problems what so ever. The 74 has a recessed floor and loads east/west, the 81 has floor level with the bottom of the door and loads north/south. Both have top sleeve across top of stove for hot air to exit at front. Both my stoves are free standing in fireplaces. They have been through wet wood, dry wood and eco bricks and mixtures there of. I use a thermometer on the front of the stove because of the air sleeve on top of the stove won't give a true reading. I run them totally by watching the temps and the excellent pointers given by this forum. They are solid, put out good heat and are very easy to operate. I would buy again. Glad to answer any other questions.....

Does the 74 burn for a long time it seems like my little buck doesn't do good because the doors don't seal all that good so it seems like I can't get a good controlled burn

Status
Not open for further replies.